• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Massive's bearing kit for brake and clutch pedal

Lee

I will very soon have available a bearing kit that will fit any 2002, with or without carpet, that replaces the pedal's nylon bushings by real bearings, offering playless rotation of the pedals.

Kit will include 4 bearings, a new long bolt and two sleeves. No machining will be required. Just pressing the bearings in. I will also offer rod ends kits for the brake linkages as an option.

Thanks for the bandwidth. Pictures coming next week.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Lee,

eventually you will turn the 2002 into a Mercedes.

Actually, it is more an attempt at trying to solve the looseness problem in the linkages. The same problem that plagues the RHD e21.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Hey Lee,

Do you think its possible to get the bearings in without pulling the pedal box out of the car?

Yes. And fitting the bearungs is easy. Disconnect the clutch and brake linkages, return springs, remove the small rubber caps on the pedal box's side, undo a 17mm nut, pull the long 10mm bolt toward the tranny tunnel. Remove the two pedals. Remove the steel sleeves and teflon bushings. Press the bearings in with a socket. Reinstal.

What happens with the stock system is that the long bolt wears out, the steel sleeves wear out, and so do the teflon sleeve. At the end, you end up with a lot of lateral play, and longitudinal play. Then swapping the clevices with rod ends will also eliminate some of the extra play.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Just a quick head-up. I have ordered a small batch of quality bearings for testing (not to get stuck with a few hundreds of junk bearings). I will report next week. I have been wanting to make this project for years but never really took the time to stop and think about it. In fact, what triggered this project was the problems encountered by the RHD e21 crowd where linkages end up being so slack that the brake pedal will not catch until half travel.

Also, just a hint for people wanting to firm up their brakes and shorten pedal travel after installing a BBK with calipers using only one inlet: 1989-90 944 Porsche 23mm MC with 3 outlets.

W01331604416ATE.JPG

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Just a quick head-up. I have ordered a small batch of quality bearings for testing (not to get stuck with a few hundreds of junk bearings). I will report next week. I have been wanting to make this project for years but never really took the time to stop and think about it. In fact, what triggered this project was the problems encountered by the RHD e21 crowd where linkages end up being so slack that the brake pedal will not catch until half travel.

Also, just a hint for people wanting to firm up their brakes and shorten pedal travel after installing a BBK with calipers using only one inlet: 1989-90 944 Porsche 23mm MC with 3 outlets.

W01331604416ATE.JPG

Alfa GTV-6 non-abs got a similar one and is probably cheaper with same outlets and is not made of aluminum. I have one on my turbo 02.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel