• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Wrench Sizes for Taking Apart a 2002

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Dear Team,

I am in a process of purchasing a 72tii and need to prepare. What are the main hand wrench sizes I will need in the immediate future?

Also, there are a few repair manuals on Amazon but which one is meant for a newbie? Or should I stick to the web?

Thanks all,

Igor

10mm 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm and 21mm.

Buy the complete metric set, much cheaper that way.

Haynes is a good one that is readily available. Find a friend with the factory blue books.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

10mm 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm and 21mm.

Buy the complete metric set, much cheaper that way.

Haynes is a good one that is readily available. Find a friend with the factory blue books.

You can get a lot done with the collection above, but there are other unique bolt heads on the 2002.

Add 12mm for exhaust nuts and 11mm for brakes. The "tuna can" cover on my tii uses an 8mm wrench for the screws. A Craftsman 30mm socket will fit the crankshaft pulley nut to turn the engine over.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

indulge yourself just a little and buy yourself an 11mm flared-end wrench for your brakes to keep from rounding out your brake lines. skip the Craftsman flared-end wrench and go directly to Snap-on for that particular tool. otherwise, craftsman brand are just fine.

another indulgence in an 8mm allen head socket for the half-shaft bolts.

a breaker bar is also good.

i like to use a large prybar to wedge the aft end of the driveshaft to keep it from spinning when wrenching down there without an assistant to lock and unlock the emergency brake.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

In addition to what Jerry mentioned for the use of the 12mm wrench it is also used on the nuts that retain the fuel pump to the head and the carb to the intake manifold. Among my most used wrenches are GearWrench 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 13mm, and, one of my favorite tools is a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver. This is an expensive tool (does Snap-On sell any other kind) and someone has the exact same screwdriver for sale (by the same mfg.) but I've forgotten who. Maybe someone here can chime in w/ that info. This is also assuming you have a good metric set of sockets and rachet (3/8" will do most of the time, but a ½" breaker bar with a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter is sometimes helpful). I also have an inexpensive set of ¼" sockets/rachet, w/ the above mentioned 5.5mm socket for trim nuts.

Bob Napier

In addition to what Jerry mentioned for the use of the 12mm wrench it is also used on the nuts that retain the fuel pump to the head and the carb to the intake manifold. Among my most used wrenches are GearWrench 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, and 13mm, and, one of my favorite tools is a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver. This is an expensive tool (does Snap-On sell any other kind) and someone has the exact same screwdriver for sale (by the same mfg.) but I've forgotten who. Maybe someone here can chime in w/ that info. This is also assuming you have a good metric set of sockets and rachet (3/8" will do most of the time, but a ½" breaker bar with a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter is sometimes helpful). I also have an inexpensive set of ¼" sockets/rachet, w/ the above mentioned 5.5mm socket for trim nuts.

Bob Napier

Yes, what Bob said for 12mm wrench on intake nuts, and tii intake parts use that same 12mm wrench as well. (Yes, you'll need a 12mm wrench)

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

36mm for rear hub bolt (may you never need it)

6mm, 8mm and 10mm inhex ("allen") sockets (don't buy the keys, buy the sockets)

7mm box- end for brake bleeding.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL