• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I sell my WRX and buy an e-30?

Harv

Am I nutz?

The idea was to add some money to the bank account and buy a 91 318is.

What do you think? Got a 5 speed e-30?

Do I have to use more hair products if I get an e-30?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if your wrx is a wagon, then yes, get rid of it

if it is a sedan, then hell no, hang on to it

School: Cornell University

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Clubs: Delta Tau Delta Fraternity

Cars:

2003 buick DD (grandpa's car, literally...)

BMW 2002 (as soon as i find one...)

It depends on what's in your stable and what you want/need.

As a daily driver, the E30 (with some prep work) is an extremely reliable commuter. It's still tossable, but utilitarian as well.

What role is the WRX playing? Do you have a 'connection' with the car, or is it just a car? You know your 02 fills a certain need in your life.

Do the simple thing and write up a list of pros and cons for each scenario.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Naw, just buy my E30 and make it a 5 speed car...

I'm trying not to. :)

We have an 04 TDi Jetta Wagon with a 5 speed as our regular family car. The WRX (4dr sedan) was the new "good car" till the TDi came along. I have owned the WRX since new (spring of 01). It was the first one in Ohio and is a very early WRX (no speed limiter). It has 93K on it and I'm sure it's about to have it's mid life crises.

I could sell it now while it's still worth something, but then where will I be. Do e-30 318is people wish they had a WRX and the speeding tickets that go with it?

Or is this my automotive ADD kicking in.

John

DSC01603.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Harv, I don't know that much about the 318is, but I have owned an E30 coupe for about 10 years. It is one tough car and with a few modifications (shifter, suspension, chip, Alpine) these are nice drivers. Come drive mine. It's a loaded 325e with a manual & LSD. I have owned one Japanese car, a nearly new Integra, but never really enjoyed it.

I went through the same phase with my WRX, trying to decide if I should sell it or not. I have an '02 WRX wagon that I bought new in in 2001 and now has almost 240k miles on it. Sure, its had a few issue along the way, but far and away my biggest single running expense has been... wheels and tires. Nothing else comes close. I've had a couple of $400-600 repairs but everything else has been routine maintenance. Sure, I'm a 40-something and I don't beat it up but I still run it to 6000 rpm regularly and like to throw it around in the twisties. Cobb Accessport (stage 1), original turbo, original clutch, etc.... solid car, 'nuf said.

FWIW, when I was thinking I should sell the WRX, what I really needed was a good drive in my 2002. And yes, a nice E30 was on my short list of cars to replace the WRX... good luck with your decision.

Karl

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

The WRX is better in slippery conditions out there in the River Valley.(when you hear the word "moss" you think of green stuff while a SoCal boy like me thinks of Stirling) Like an E28, an E30 needs a few hundred pounds in the trunk when it's wet out if you don't want some unexpected oversteer. Both the WRX and a decent E30(IS) are great to drive.

YES buy an E30

the 318is is the most balanced, tossable, nimble, rev-happy, light, stiff chassis, fun bmw ever made (imho). a absolutely perfect blend of motor and car. probably the best of the e30 iterations (haven't owned the e30 M3 yet though).

it may not be as fast as a 325is, but its darn close and handles better out of the box. mine had H&R springs, billy sports and all weather yokohama's and it was just a great car.

the M42 is flat out the best 4cyl motor BMW ever made.

questions?

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”