• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Had both of my 2002s totalled in two weeks!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I guess everything about 2002s come in pairs.

About a month ago I put in a low ball offer on an 02 on ebay, and ended up getting it. Drove 2 hours to go get my first bmw, was very happy, wasnt the nicest car, but only paid $2K for it.

The next day I see in the paper a Jade Green 76 with 76K original miles in fantastic condition, in the same random town I was just in the night before, and its too nice to pass up so I end up going back out to get it the next day.

Now I have 2 2002s, great.

Two weeks ago I drop the beautiful Green one off at my mechanic to check on some things, he goes to drive me home to feel out the car, and a block away from the shop we get rear ended at a traffic light by a woman talking on her cell phone. Car is crumpled, no one is hurt, but I am on the sidewalk crying.

Well at least I have another 02 to kick around in until I find another nice one.

Today 2 blocks from my house, I am stopping at a school crossing, and bamn! I get rear ended again by some other woman not paying attention. I wasnt as upset this time, maybe from the irony of having both of my cars destroyed.

Now I am back on the hunt for an 02, going to try to hold out for an m20 conversion I think.

BTW no one was hurt, they are just cars, but I am quickly running out of them!

Oh and while I am waiting on the sidewalk to get the nerve to drive again, this lady on the street offers to sell me her 72 2002 that isnt running (bad distributor) for $800! I went to check it out, it doesnt have any rust, a little dent in the front piece, a few other issues, but I think it is definitely worth getting! Maybe Ill just do the M20 myself :)

Wow, what are the odds of that happening. The $800 car is probably a great deal. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board to help with anything if you were to do the conversion yourself but you could always check out this car...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,322786/

No idea if it ever sold but it was listed a couple times.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

Well you should have 2 spare distributors...

Glad no one was hurt.

Silly woman drivers!

GL,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

hope you're saving the 2 02's for parts?

I was rear-end twice within 2 mo's, 2 years ago, and in the exact same spot, but fortunately in my YUKON, and the two a-holes that rammed me crushed the front ends of their cars. One guy lost the entire nose of his truck.

I fear driving my 02 through there now, and whenever I pull-up behind cars in traffic, will pull to the right side if I can. Allowing the person from behind me to see the backside of the car in front of me too, which seems to grab their attention a little better.

I'm always looking in my rear view now.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

...WTF....maybe the Godz02 are angry?!@

If I were you (seriously) I would start getting advice on the whiplash that you must have incurred. I always gets way worse. Start stretching all the neck muscles every morning. Consult a Physiotherapist or Chiropractor for maintenance advice.

Mine is only bearable!

kevin

Sorry about your luck. But it's not all bad luck. I got a $4 3rd brake light from an 80s Toyota that fits nicely on the rear shelf. Studies show a 3rd brake light reduces the chance of a rear-ender. Many will say it's especially true in these cars.

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!

I was going to say that's amazing, but not true. It is amazing when anyone at all is paying attention to their driving. Who to blame?? (1) Women (mainly) driving GIANT vehicles, laughing and paying no attention as they babble on their precious phones!! (2) Over-aggressive males with something to prove: gotta beat you to the next light by 1-2 seconds. (3) Dunderheads who cannot see beyond the hood ornament what is coming up down the road. (4) Folks who use the brake pedal at least as much as their gas pedal (5) Just plain STUUUUUUPID people!! ARRRRGGGHHH (feel free to add more..... )

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

i drive my little 02 in Bay Area traffic like a little mouse amoung cats. i'm constantly looking at my rear view, side view mirrors. when someone has the audacity to tailgate i start to slow down. most people get the message to back off. in bumper to bumper traffic i always leave space in front of me even if other cars squeeze in. it's the price to pay to play amoung the 'cats' i suppose.

a pity to loose two 02's so fast. you'll have quite a parts stash though.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Good things are bound to come your way.

A few days ago, I was stopped at the intersection at the end of my street. I looked in the mirror to see a white Ford Excursion coming up fast. She stopped in time, thankfully. Then I noticed, SHE WAS ON TWO CELL PHONES!!!. Holding one with her shoulder and one with her hand. I'm not making this up. Probably a bladder full of Starbucks Skinny Mocha Latte, Venti, Soy Milk, not too hot, cinnamon, double cups, extra foam as well. .

Be careful out there.

Jim Leadem

Madison, CT.

'72 2002 tii

'75 2002

'07 330ix

'69 Alfa Romeo Spider

'78 BMW R80/7

always have an exit strategy: don't ever stop so close to the next car that you are boxed in. Last week I was driving Bacchus on the highway, traffic stopped, on the rear mirror a pickup truck, obviously going too fast too stop. I just went off to the side, the pickup truck had to follow me, otherwise he would have too crushed the car in front of Bacchus!

I hope you have better luck with your third 02!

FAQ Member # 91

Does anyone have experience dealing with insurance companies? I am sure they are going to try to low ball me, and I need to start finding other examples to show them what the cars were worth, but its hard since there are so few 02s for sale!

76 Jade Green w/ E21 2.0 - DCOE Weber 40s, 304, 5spd, Stahl>Ansa, Wilwoods, H+R and Bilsteins, and some other fun bits.

p179457832-2.jpg