• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling the Pilot Bearing.. ( without a puller)

Meintii

Does anybody have a suggestion for getting the freakin pilot bearing out with out a pilot bearing puller? I've heard of a grease method ( through searching the forum) but Im not sure that will work for my 72.

I have rented pilot bearing pullers form autozone and o'reilly's and neither fit!

They wouldn't let me grid them down either.

This is holding me up from finishing my clutch job because I dont want to have to do everything again b/c I didn't change the fn pilot bearing.

What can I dO???

I'll post a picture of where im at when i get back from dinner.

THANKS!!!!!!!

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

Depending on what pilot you have (needle or ball) get the size concrete anchor (not the lead type) from ACE. Needles need to be knocked out cause it's the race that is stuck. Use a bolt, inverted socket and washer and pull it.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Zac,

You need an internal puller. It will need to reach inside the pilot, flare out, and then pull the bearing from the back side. Auto zone shows a slide hammer and a 2/3 jaw attachment see if they have anything likt this. I did not get this from the Autozone site but it is what you need to get the bearing out. This one is for a slide hammer but there is also one that has a screw drive that pushes on the outside of the hole.

post-6649-13667602957367_thumb.jpg

post-6649-13667602957575_thumb.jpg

"Common sense isn't common"

I always use a regular slide hammer, because it works so well & so fast..

A regular mechanic's slide hammer should have 5/8"-11 threaded end for the attachments.

Most good slide hammer kits will have an assortment of hooks, or you can attach a single leg off one of those little $4 chinese 3-jaw pullers to grab the bearing and yank it out on the first stroke.

I learned a trick from a guy a long time ago. Take a grease gun, fill the cavity behind the bearing full of grease. Then take a bolt that is the exact size of the hole in the pilot bearing and a rubber mallet. Put the bolt into the hole, give it a whack, fill with more grease, give it a whack and bam, it'll pop out. I've done it twice.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

I recently pulled mine out, it was the needle type. The anchors didn't work, the hook on the slide hammer didn't work.

I ended up welding the head of a bolt into the hole of the race and pulled it out by making my own puller with some c-channel and a couple bolts for the legs.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

I've even used a cheap tube of caulking and a bolt and pushed it out hydraulically.

wipe the caulking out and you're good to go.

but you do have to have the sealed type bearing

Make it different... or just do it differently

Bill in Petaluma, CA

1969 1600 supercharged m20 in progress

1970 2002 RIP -- crashed then quartered

1971 2002 M20/02 RIP -- nothing but pieces now

1972 2002 gone, but not missed POS

I've never had luck with the "fill it with an incompressible fluid" method. I've always used a rented internal puller from Autozone; I just can't remember the puller number.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

a trick from a guy a long time ago. Take a grease gun

Carroll Smith, 'Tune to Win', 1974...

t

ps, the Harbor Freight bearing puller works on 2002 pilots.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ok so i'm going to try bill's wet toilet paper method..as he's never let me down.. here are some pics of where im at.

These I need to know how they attach on to the Tranny.

This is what im looking at when im attempting to this thing out.

Im going to go out and attempt the to method while awaiting you guys's reply. Wish me luck!

And thanks as always for your help

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

Ok so i'm going to try bill's wet toilet paper method..as he's never let me down.. here are some pics of where im at.

These I need to know how they attach on to the Tranny.

IMG_0094.jpg

This is what im looking at when im attempting to this thing out.

IMG_0091.jpg

Im going to go out and attempt the tp method while awaiting you guys's reply. Wish me luck!

And thanks as always for your help

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

Look at the pictures below:

Transmission support and mount:

Aug2605.jpg

Your release arm is have of what the five speeds are. I have not worked on a four speed but I ASS U ME that it goes on the same way as the five speed.

P1Transmission22.jpg

The silver thing goes on the block, drivers side. The side with two holes goes to the block, the one hole side to the transmission.

When the transmission is mated, there is a bolt that goes through the silver thing to hold that part of the transmission to the block. Look to the lower right of the motor.

3Mar06.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

if you are still not having luck after today please email me and i will ship you the tool i made to do it hydraulically and it works well. i machined a metal rod to the exact diameter of the pilot bearing. just fill it with grease and a few smacks walks it out. i can send tomorrow if it would help

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com