• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Eye Candy from Germany, must see pics

rogerspeed

I like it................................

Jb

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

Very nice Rodger! Is that a standard "bus" wheel covered in leather or is it a special version for the ti? It looks a bit smaller and thicker. You probably have the only 1600ti in California. It's a real 1600ti right? Is it the one for sale in the LA area a few years ago with pig-cheek flares? I think it had been setup as a track car. There are so few around I'm guessing you were the one that bought it. Way to go!

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

snorkel...apparently it wasn't deleted as on the tii's--either that or the nose has been replaced.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Appreciate the interest, had all the plastic chrome trim pieces for the dash rechromed along with the gauge rings, the metal parts were in excellent condition, just had to polish. Refinished the cluster myself, you may notice that the hood over the cluster is the original plastic, unpadded style, it has a slight warp from years in the sun, the cluster matches, another kind of original patina! The console was tricky, as the sides used with the chrome dash model are different than those for a the non-chrome dash.

The steering wheel is probably Tii, very similar to the original Ti steering wheel, I have three different sales brochures for the 1600ti, in three different languages, and various contemporanious magazines, they show either a wood or leather wheel in the same style with bright metal trim at the end of the spokes, and cutout slots in the spokes, whereas mine has stamped depression in the spokes and a fluted not domed hubcover. My wheel has been recovered in fresh leather, thicker than standard, I have big hands so build 5” custom grip for my tennis racquets. This is the Ti Grant G. had for sale a couple years ago on CL, it was a track car at one time, I found the front swaybar links to be of unequal length. Interestingly there was another 1600ti Polaris on CL at about the same time, it appeared to be less modified although the dash had some modifications that may have shown federalization such as a hazard switch jutting out of one of the chrome trim pieces

The shift knob is a vintage leather screw-on with a cloisonné BMW insignia

The skirt on the air dam is a two piece dry sandwich, the exterior is black rubber approx 3/16” thickness, the second layer appears to be 1/8” poly urethane sheet.

The suspension is rather conventional, the front struts are Ti(i) with new cartriges & rear shocks, the lower control arms are later style with poly bushings also installed in the radius ends, boxed trailing arms, front and rear stock swaybars, the sub frame mounts have poly reinforcements and new stock bushings in the diff carrier. New upper struts mounts and the Top End Ultimate strut brace which triangulates into the firewall, it also braces the engine which keeps the rear air-cleaner from hitting the brake booster. The springs are not stock, uncut, brand unknown.

Mike brings up a great question, I’ve examined the car closely and can find no evidence that the nose was changed, although the fact the lower valance had no rust might be considered unusual.

None of the factory brochures show the radiator support when picturing the engine, however L’Automobile Fevrier 1968 shows the engine compartment without a snorkel.

Here is the L’Autombile picture and a photo from Juli 1969 Sport-Auto of another BMW1600/ Alpina, like the wheels. BTW the #61 Orange and Black car driven by Niki Lauda at the inaugural 24 hour Nurburing Race in 1970 to a class win was a 1600ti/Alpina. (Hans Stuck was the overall winner in a modified White and Blue 2002ti). The paint scheme is based on these and other competition cars from the day. As this car had two layers of white prior to my acquisition , it seemed the best course was honor both the factory, with the Polaris band, its individual history with the white. The other pictures show the flares removed, with the original modified inner sheet metal, apparently done in Europe based on the type of rivets used, while restoring, we reset using a bonding technique, for improved water resistance.

post-1480-13667602557031_thumb.jpg

post-1480-13667602560678_thumb.jpg

post-1480-13667602564304_thumb.jpg

post-1480-13667602567089_thumb.jpg

post-1480-13667602570086_thumb.jpg

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe