• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 hot rods vs 911 hot rods

jrkoupe

or as some prefer to say RGRUPPE

Although different price stratosphere's..........Ive always looked at the hot rod 911 and the hot rod 02 as wonderful cars to own, drive, work on... w/ very strong loyal followings. I follow the older ( pre 74) 911 world much like the 02 world. And it seems true for both worlds that there are 2 main groups...the purists that go for every oe nut and bolt.....and the RGRUPPE type, that does the car up as they did back in the day w/ hot cams, exhausts, flares, suspensions seats etc......It seems like the hot rod 02 group is growing.

Although not as strong as the 911's , the 02 has a strong motorsports background as well...Names like Alpina, Schnitzer, Koepchen ring almost as strong as Kremer, George Loos, Ruf etc.

I know from my 70 T ownership that prices in the 911 world have gone out of control.....it often makes me think we have a true bargain w/ the 02. But while watching Mecum and BJ typeauctions.....it makes me think a $35k strong 911 t or E or decent S is a bargain as well. If you have never driven a well sorted pre 74 911.....take the first chance you get. it is wonderful.... but I think its a love it or hate it thang.

Just rambling here...its been a long week.

Ive posted pics of alot of 02 hot rods on this forum.....I wanted to show you all a link of some great looking RGRUPPE 911's as well....I hope the link works.... its from a truly great early 911 site.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23273

Very nice photos of the Pre 74 911s. There are other BMW fans with a thing for the P-cars out there too. We have the 356 and 1600 models.

Your point is well taken in that the 2002 is a bargain vs the 356 or early 911 models...also the 356 "outlaw" or modified cars are growing in popularity likewise. The silver 356 C coupe was done in the outlaw look with the red stripes and pea shooter exhaust.

Cheers

post-10103-13667598625024_thumb.jpg

post-10103-13667598626092_thumb.jpg

post-10103-13667598627112_thumb.jpg

....it could be said that an 02 is a very poor manns' ==P=O=R=S=C=H=E==

even when talking about 2002 Turbo's

02MUDflap02turboc.jpg

this P stuff will really cost ya dearly !

no 38/38's for that crowd .

HPIM1598.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I am a card carrying member of the R Gruppe (#338) and a dyed in the wool early Porsche nut. I have a '69 911 with a 2.8 short stroke, twin plug, RSR cammed motor and a '70 914-6 with GT flairs and a factory 2.2S MFI motor. I am a long time admirer of 2002's and recently got really lucky and acquired my first 2002, a fully restored '72 sunroof car with S14, 5 speed, and all the other goodies. The first things I have been doing to the car is going for a period tuner look ala the R Gruppe; removing the modern wheels for minilite look wheels, removing the modern style steering wheel for a prototipo, I want to get rid of the 320 recaros for some period recaro reproductions, ext. Owning comprehensively modified early Porsche's and 2002's I can't comment on how the preservationsist crowd wourld compare them, but I can say while there are differences in execution, the spirit is the same. They are well engineered small and light cars with lots of character. They are not the fastest cars on the road by modern standards, but I find the feedback and challenge of driving these cars quickly to be far more rewarding than driving a modern high power car with all its electronic aids and nannies. I love the cars for their simplicity to work on and elegant engineering. As noted above, both have significant history and racing heritage and all the old hot rodding bits you can dig up are very cool. They both are icons as well; the 2002 as the original sport sedan and the 911 as the long lived sports car icon. I love having both in my garage to work on and play with.

'72 M2

'69 911 2.8SS

'70 914-6 GT

'02 M3

I am a card carrying member of the R Gruppe (#338) and a dyed in the wool early Porsche nut. I have a '69 911 with a 2.8 short stroke, twin plug, RSR cammed motor and a '70 914-6 with GT flairs and a factory 2.2S MFI motor. I am a long time admirer of 2002's and recently got really lucky and acquired my first 2002, a fully restored '72 sunroof car with S14, 5 speed, and all the other goodies. The first things I have been doing to the car is going for a period tuner look ala the R Gruppe; removing the modern wheels for minilite look wheels, removing the modern style steering wheel for a prototipo, I want to get rid of the 320 recaros for some period recaro reproductions, ext. Owning comprehensively modified early Porsche's and 2002's I can't comment on how the preservationsist crowd wourld compare them, but I can say while there are differences in execution, the spirit is the same. They are well engineered small and light cars with lots of character. They are not the fastest cars on the road by modern standards, but I find the feedback and challenge of driving these cars quickly to be far more rewarding than driving a modern high power car with all its electronic aids and nannies. I love the cars for their simplicity to work on and elegant engineering. As noted above, both have significant history and racing heritage and all the old hot rodding bits you can dig up are very cool. They both are icons as well; the 2002 as the original sport sedan and the 911 as the long lived sports car icon. I love having both in my garage to work on and play with.

show us some pics!!!!

I agree w/ your comments...

......over the past 10-15 yrs or so I have lost all interest in new cars. I do own a relatively new car though ...a 99 z3 2.8 coupe,.. and the funny thing is I bought it only because it reminded me of some vintage cars w/ some panache.....like the 2 plus 2 E type..and the AM DB2's/ 3's)......

I get several auto magazines at the office..I never even read the new car articles anymore.