• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifting Issue

sublimefan187

All,

I have recently been running my 02 on more frequent occasions, and as would be suspected, all those problems rear their ugly heads. I took the car for a spin around the block after I took care of a charging problem that I was having. I noticed it was labersome to get the car into gear due to the shifter having excess play. As I was shifting, I could even hear the whole linkeage assembly striking the transmission tunnel. I thought it to be odd, but pressed on. As I was pulling into the driveway, it seemed that something gave way, and the whole assembly came free. I got it into the garage to inspect. Once I got it up in the air, I noted that the entire assembly was quite loose. I tightened the one fillibuster head screw that appeared loose, but it still have significant play. Everything else appears tight. Any ideas?

Chris

post-2874-13667598317736_thumb.png

More than likely the big allens (10) that go into the bushings (11) have backed out or departed scene...

Or possibly the bolt (1) that holds the bushing to the trans has backed off. If the whole platform is floppy, these are the usual culprits. If you're already in there, you might as well change the bushings and the cups that hold the shifter.

TK

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

bushings in the shift linkage plus the metalastic bushings that the previously mentioned allen screws go through. They hold the shift platform to the tranny, and the bushings turn into black goo over the years due to tranny oil seepage.

When you order the replacement shift linkage bushings, be sure and get the correct ones. Sometime in early 1974 the factory changed the linkage setup; while the entire assembly will interchange, the individual pieces won't.

With the car up in the air, replacing the bad parts is pretty easy and will make a big difference in shifter performance. Also suggest putting Redline MTL in the tranny--it'll make it shift MUCH smoother.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Replace all the bushings at the shifter "ball" along with the (2) square ones that hold the bracket to the transmission and you will have a much better driving car.

Also check: reverse light switch, guibo, trans output seal and tranny mount.

post-8235-13667598334935_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667598335736_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

....YUP - what they all said

time to Get Down and Get Under again

with a bright Light (jack stands PLEASE!)

and write your estimate of all the bits to put it right,

work on it once, and drive with security for many years.

Many ways to order your parts - you can even

order everything one-stop at any BMW Dealer ! of all places.

02shiftpartsEARLY.jpg

to gain best access to the shifter restoration,

drop the front d-shaft "Guibo" rubber flex disk,

replace it, check the center d-shaft bearing w/rubber mount,

feel the needle bearings in the rear d-shaft joint at the diff end,

02driveshaftparts1.jpg

and if your missing the exhaust support bracket stuff,

add that to your order list. While under there contemplating,

look at the steering tierods, center link - grab the idler arm and wiggle it for play, note oil leaks, missing bolts/nuts, look up at the steering

box mounting arm where the motor mount also attaches for cracking,

02EXHAUSTPARTS.jpg

02frontsubframeparts1.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"