• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rubber Door Seal (used) Treatment

nealf

Just pulled some door seals off another car to reuse on mine temporarily prior to a repaint sometime in the future. Does anyone know what I should do as far as cleaning/prepping them prior to installation? They are dirty and not the softest, but should be serviceable. Confirmed that BMW no longer sells that Gummiflege stuff.

Thanks

nf

'70 2800CS

'72 Tii

'73 2002

If you use glycerin ( & I think that's probably a good idea),you'll probabley need 8 oz. to a pint. Your local pharmacy probably doesn't stock the cheap stuff in pints but would probably order it for you at perhaps a substantial savings compared to the 4 oz. bottles you find out on the shelf. You can use what's left over to lubricate water hoses before installing them or reinstalling them. As good as KY for that job & many other tasks.

it will adhere well. Simple Green, or even tire cleaning products do well. Use 3M Adhesive Remover & Surface Cleaner to get the old glue off.

Conditioning the strip with the various juices can be done once they're in place.

A gummi-pflege product is available from Einzett, purchased from any of the online detailing sites. Glycerine works well, as does the Zymol rubber product.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Someone once told me that if you were to put rubbers in the pre clean tanks at a plating shop (i don't know what the deadly solution is)---but your rubbers come out like new. Any of you cad plating guys should try this for me! I've got many used door seals in various states---glass beading works nicely on rubbers but these are a bit gangly. I'd like to find out about the dipping-----Brent

"Westley's Blech-White" tire cleaner works great for cleaning old crusty rubber parts.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

Something we do as a matter of course at the upholstery shop, is to scuff the material to be glued, even if new, with a scotch brite pad. This opens the pores to the rubber to allow the adhesive to stick much better.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg