• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just got this from Mobile Traditions

JackF

The BMW 2002 turbo VIN 4291206 was manufactured on September 10th, 1974 and delivered on October 2nd, 1974 to Italy. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

Unfortunately there are no details about interior and special options mentioned in the delivery books. Maybe you are lucky and able to find the so called "Laufzettel" under the rear seat bench (where the colours and options are coded). Then you can send me a picture of the "Laufzettel" and I will check the options lists for more information.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

Has anyone found the Laufzettel in their cars?

This is the response I got from them back in 2007. It does include the destination city as well. Maybe in Europe they just put the country of delivery?

AW: Research request‏

Sent: Mon 1/29/07 8:07 AM

Dear Mr ...., Thank you for your email. The BMW 2002 US VIN 2362844 was manufactured on January 14th, 1975 and delivered on February 3rd, 1975 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Mintgruen, paint code 079.

Email Address: info.konzernarchiv@bmw.de

We hope, this is helpful for you. Yours sincerely,BMW Mobile TraditionGroup Archives Andreas Harz phone: +49 (0) 89/382-68 281fax: +49 (0) 89/382-24 765

URL: http://www.bmw-grouparchives.com >-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----->Von: info.konzernarchiv@bmw.de [mailto]>Gesendet: Samstag, 27. Januar 2007 01:21>An: Info.Konzernarchiv>Betreff: Research request>

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

the rear seat or anywhere else. I looked not too long after I bought the car. Of course all USA cars had the "Mulroney" sticker on the window that listed all the options that came with the car, along with their prices.

Has anyone else found this "Laufzettel" in their US delivery 2002?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi Folks,

To clear up the confusion, the slip that had all the info of the cars production was started around 1978. You will not find it under the seat of 2002. The only slips you will find under the seat of a 2002 are probably the tags from the horse hair pad manufacturer.

HTH,

Max

Maximillian

www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

New York was Hoffman's address, it is not the destination city. I wish they had that, including the dealer, but Hoffman's records are long gone, if they were even maintained.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Guest Anonymous

I also got the same response and the only tag under the rear seat was for the pads and seat material. Mine's a 75 euro schwarz series that I bought in sicliy, Italy too. All italtian BMWs during that time period came to verona and then shipped to other italian towns. The factory records from the 02 era are very basic unfortunately.

New York was Hoffman's address, it is not the destination city. I wish they had that, including the dealer, but Hoffman's records are long gone, if they were even maintained.

attached to all U.S. specification '02s, no matter where they were delivered. I know for certain that my '69 sunroof was a tourist delivery car that was ordered through a Northern CA dealer and picked up at the factory (bought it from the original owner's family, original service book which includes the factory delivery stamp is still with it), but Mobile Tradition show the same Hoffman Motors, New York, NY address.

In addition, MT's build date info on my car is somewhat suspect - much of the production sequence info I've found indicates that the last of the 1969 model year "series I" cars (long neck diffs, 2 piston front calipers, etc) were built before the holiday break at the end of 1968 (mine is chassis # 1664730, 30 cars before the end of the series), but Mobile Tradition's info shows a production date at the end of January, 1969, about two weeks before the car was delivered.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I agree. I also think the delivery date for US cars is the FOB date at the port it left and when Hoffman took title to the cars. Otherwise, most cars were produced and delivered within 2 to 3 weeks! My number is 1664169, produced 11/28/68, delivered in early December and I know it was sold in Alhambra CA in January of `69. The initial date of registration in CA, in this case January, stays in the DMV system for the life of the vehicle, even though CA didn't begin using Month stickers until `75 or so.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

My very early "Second Series" 69 (short neck diff, 4 piston calipers etc) was the 40th built (only 60 cars after Barry's late first series) and has a production date of 4 Feb 69, so Barry, your car may well have been assembled--or at least the assembly completed--in Jan '69.

The delivery date is the date the cars ownership was transferred from BMW AG to Hoffman Motors. This has nothing to do with the date the car actually arrived at its US POE--that's what the MT folks told me, and I can confirm because the "delivery date" on my '69 is shown as 6 Feb--how did it cross the Atlantic in two days? Anyway, there was a dock strike on the East Coast at the time, and my car didn't actually arrive in New York until around 1 May. I know 'cause I waited three months from order to delivery!

Also apparently tourist delivery cars ordered thru Hoffman or one of his dealers still showed that Hoffman Motors took "delivery" on the car regardless of where the buyer picked it up. Only cars that were ordered via military of diplomatic channels--or another broker--not the importer--would show delivery to an organization or individual other than Hoffman.

Hope that helps clear up this bit of arcane trivia...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 8 months later...

Another piece of export info for the FAQ.

Just received the following from Andreas Harz at MT:

"The BMW 2002 US VIN 2578305 was manufactured on September 13th, 1971 and delivered the same day to a company named J.B.S. in Frankfurt/Main, possibly to a US citizen living in Germany. The original colour was Agave, paint code 071."

Anyone else have a german delivered car for US use? Fron J.B.S?

My car has US instrumentation/stickers, but chrome dash heater control plates like the Euro versions. Not sure what other things I might want to look for as differences. The PO said it was sold to a serviceman who had it brought back to the US.

Anxious to learn as much as I can about my car's history. Any suggestions would be most helpful and appreciated.