• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas shocks for hood

H_Krix

I know a few people have done this mod in the past, and I've been doing some research for a little while now on what the typical install looks like. I know a lot of people wrestle with the hood torsion bar during install, and I think that mechanism is dated and also overly complicated. Its also heavy.

I've been trying to think of a way to replace that assembly with cheaper and more reliable gas struts, yet keeping the original mounting points. Initially I struggled with this as I was looking for a solution that used only a gas strut, and no scissor bars. The problem is that the mounting points on an 02 are nearly directly over top of one another - you would need to move one either forwards or backwards to use a single gas strut in a stock location.

This morning I came up with the images below. The red indicates a gas shock, and at the "extended" position it is only at 75% open. The green are the mounting points. I realize the dimensions are off, but I'm going from memory and just wanted to see if this concept had merit.

Let me know what you guys think. I believe this could be a rather simple, elegant, and lightweight solution. Not to mention you can use all the stock points so there is no shetmetal changes necessary. I'm going to start messing around with some bar stock when I get home and I'll see what I can fab up.

post-1819-13667593955252_thumb.jpg

post-1819-13667593955718_thumb.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Can you email me offline? I'm struggling with a hydraulic (lineal actuator) application with a similar design. I'd like to get your views, and don't want to take up space here, unless we determine that it's yseful to, or relevant for the hood idea. Thanks.

Davidbowen5828 at comcast dot net

more reliable gas struts

Ummm, the stock hood mess is a LOT more reliable than gas- charged

struts. I've never seen a 2002 with a dead hood opener, and

those gas struts are a headache. I'm thinking '76 Pacer- sized headache...

That said, go for it- the stock way is certainly heavy... and it seems

like a cool project.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Your proposed setup looks like it would work. However I would have to agree that unless you have to use something different for a mod reason, the stock setup is the way to go.

Since I have fiberglass fenders, I don't have the hood torque tube support, and have been looking for some sort of hood support other than a prop rod kept in the trunk.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Your proposed setup looks like it would work. However I would have to agree that unless you have to use something different for a mod reason, the stock setup is the way to go.

Since I have fiberglass fenders, I don't have the hood torque tube support, and have been looking for some sort of hood support other than a prop rod kept in the trunk.

John

Get a prop rod from a thrown away car at Pick-N-Pull and install it alongside the inner fender. The biggest drawback is it's in your way half the time.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Guest Anonymous

I am pretty sure a former roomate took the gas strut from a later model (6 or 7 series?) hood and adapted it to his 02. I think he borrowed the basic geometry from that model too.

hth

more reliable gas struts

Ummm, the stock hood mess is a LOT more reliable than gas- charged

struts. I've never seen a 2002 with a dead hood opener

Good point. While the insides of these things will probably never lose their spring and ability to hold up the hood, I've seen too many that rub on the hood supports causing rust, and there are several points which can dent and mar the finish on the fenders themselves. Also, install is a bitch to do cleanly.

I'll concede to the point that the gas struts will have to be changed once every 3-5 years at the shortest, but I think that overall this is a more elegant solution. The other thing I have never liked about closing the hood on an 02 is the fact that there is no dampening from 20 degrees hinged and below. Often its too easy to slam the hood if its dropped. I'm hoping my solution can fix that.

Yeah, I'm probably reinventing the wheel here, but I think this could be a neat mod. We'll see.

Thanks for the heads up about the 6-ers - i'll have to give that a look.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog