• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S14 swap. Flywheel and clutch question.

Lee

The S14 will adorn my engine bay in two weeks. I have decided to go to Megasquirt and "DTM" airbox. My question is if the S14 flywheel fits the e21 tranny bellhousing and if there's some clearing to do. Can I use the lighter 2002 flywheel and clutch instead?

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Yes on the flywheel however I'm going to be using the s14 clutch and pressure plate on the m10 flywheel. I posted the same question several months back on s14.net. I think the s14 clutch is dimensionally the same but with more reinforcements.

I have a E30 M3 flywheel on my M10 right now. If you wanted something lighter but did not want to worry about warping an aluminum the sport evo flywheel is cast and only weighs 12lbs. Good Luck.

-Andrew

1974 Cinnabar M2: S14/320CR/391LSD/Turbo Exhaust/Turbo Radiator/323 Trailing Arms/Ground Control Coilovers

Cool. I'll check if my 2002 has a 215 or 224mm flywheel.

I will probably change the front and rear seals, as well as the rear cover gasket, and camcover gasket too before installing the motor. Obviously a thorough clean-up of the motor will be required as the 100k mile engine has not be runned for 7 years. But it does turn.

BTW I shipped this morning your distributor housing, the oversize Tii spacers and the S14 exhaust cam block-off plate. It looks very nice. Can't wait to install mine on my motor.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

I have a E30 M3 flywheel on my M10 right now. If you wanted something lighter but did not want to worry about warping an aluminum the sport evo flywheel is cast and only weighs 12lbs. Good Luck.

-Andrew

I forgot about that option. Used ones sometimes come-up on s14.net

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

• 14 years later...

Hi Guys,

sorry to bump a old thread but though it’s better then starting a new one. 

so to confirm using the 245/5 with the S14 you use the S14 flywheel and a M10 clutch and pressure plate?

Edited by M3This

8 minutes ago, M3M3M3 said:

S14 everything.  Flywheel, clutch and PP.

Very minor clearancing needed on 245.

thank you. Do you recommend OEM or are aftermarket (aka Clutchmasters or similar) ok? Also what throw out bearing?

when you say minor clearancing need can you expand on that?

thanks for all the help. 

ClutchMasters clutch plate makes the transmission sound like it's ready to crash.  It doesn't have the same spring damping. Seen 2 examples of this.  Go OEM.

What ECU are you going to use.  If not Motronic, then the M3 flywheel is not mandatory.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 minutes ago, jimk said:

ClutchMasters clutch plate makes the transmission sound like it's ready to crash.  It doesn't have the same spring damping. Seen 2 examples of this.  Go OEM.

What ECU are you going to use.  If not Motronic, then the M3 flywheel is not mandatory.

Doing standalone Motec. 

Thanks for the info on the ClutchMasters too. I had one of their Clutches in my old civic back in 97 and had nothing but problems with it so not exactly a fan to start off with. 

21 hours ago, jimk said:

Not my experience.  Have had multiple clutchmasters clutches in street, track and race cars, as have many of my racing friends.  Zero issues.  

Clutchmasters makes a variety of different clutch plate/disks with a wide range of different friction materials and springs for different uses.  Your rash generalization of all clutchmasters products is unfounded.

And btw.... Clutchmasters uses a bmw OE pressure plate from Sachs for their S14 clutches.

Go clutchmasters if you are going to do any fun driving.  Go stock Sachs if you are just going to toddle along to C&C's.

2xM3

21 hours ago, M3This said:

when you say minor clearancing need can you expand on that?

The M3 flywheel has a rectangular metal lug that the Motronic sensors use for engine timing.  This lug interferes with the Getrag 245 bellhousing in several (3) places, the worst being at the timing view hole.  You can clearance the Getrag 245 bellhousing using a Dremel, or you can have your machinist remove this lug (I believe it is pressed in) and rebalance your M3 flywheel.

Mark92131

IMG_3622.JPG

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)