• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of leak is this? (Pics included)

dzlnitro

So, i bought a valve cover gasket, because this forum and another thought it to be, and as i went to change it, i saw no visual evidence of leaking from the valve cover onto my headers.

Here is the leak, i have no idea if i need a new header gasket, or new headers in general.

P1010178.jpg

P1010179.jpg

P1010182.jpg

Smoke showing on the last pic if you can see it.

Looks like oil from the valve cover. When header leak, there is no oil, just exhaust gases and noise. If you already changed the valve cover gasket, you may have snugged it too tight.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Hi,

the oil that you see is coming from around the

exhaust stud. the stud appears to be too far threaded

into the head. remove the head cover and check to see that

the stud is flush with the inside of the head. you can

remove the cast iron header and clean the stud hole,

after taking out the stud in the cylinder head,

with brake parts cleaner and the put Lock-tite thread

locker/sealer on the stud and reinstall it. wait overnite

and put the manifold back on.

good luck

stone

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

Hi,

the oil that you see is coming from around the

exhaust stud. the stud appears to be too far threaded

into the head. remove the head cover and check to see that

the stud is flush with the inside of the head. you can

remove the cast iron header and clean the stud hole,

after taking out the stud in the cylinder head,

with brake parts cleaner and the put Lock-tite thread

locker/sealer on the stud and reinstall it. wait overnite

and put the manifold back on.

good luck

stone

I'm a pretty much beginner mechanic, think i could pull this off with basic knowledge?

This is a common problem- stone has it nailed. Search for "leak exhaust stud" or similar and you'll find more info. You need to pull the stud and seal it and reinstall it. The easy way out would be to try taking that nut off and see if the stud comes with it. If so just clean it with solvent and a wire brush and also clean the threads in the head, put some loctite on the stud and thread it back in. Be careful not to cross thread it.

If the stud does not come out with the nut you probably will need to take the header off. Its not too difficult but it will take time if you don't have much experience. I'd have a set of new studs and nuts on hand as well as a new gasket (later gasket with the heat shield to protect those spark plug wires) and a decent scraper. You'll probably want to have all the hardware for the joint to the down pipe as well so you can get the thing out and really clean/flatten that gasket surface. Oh and a plumbers torch/penetrating oil for the stubborn nuts. For the new nuts you'll need a good 12mm box end wrench i do believe.....

valve cover because the cover is warped. That area on the head looks wet.Use a bead of RTV ( read instruction of product) after cleaning the gasket (can clean with carb or brake cleaner )against the head. To verify oil leak is from the valve cover, use a paper towel to wipe along the head under the valve cover area.

Chris

- rubber seal for oil filler cap

- Loctite for exhaust stud

- valve cover gasket and grey or blue RTV for the gap between the timing chain cover and the head

I say follow all 3 suggestions others posted above. Parts are cheap - it's all a matter of labor time spent. If you're like most of us around here, that's time well spent. Can't beat the satisfaction of fixing it yourself. You'll also know that much more about your car!

Looks like the valve cover gasket could use replacing any ways. I haven't used anything or goop. New gasket and proper torgue. Get a heat shield for the plug wires as you will be asking why is my engine missing later on. That is not a header but, it is still producing heat on the wires laying on them...

Degrease the oil soaked manifold and run it.

If you still get the oil, the exhaust manifold studs are weeping oil. (they go straight through). Replace them as they have been hacked by the prior owner and it looks like he may have driven them too far in....

Guest Anonymous

I have read the earlier posts and reviewed the pictures and conclude the likely culprit to be the stud as studly Stone has stated. Given the plethora of orange RTV on some of the surrounding joints, it is just as likely that you have a oil seeping from the front of the upper timing case cover where it meets the valve cover, as well as the valve cover area you have pictured. Oil, with a little wind and gravity has a habit of migrating all over the place.

Here is what I would do. "Gunk" not goop (degrease) the engine or at least that area of the engine so you can better examine the potential sources of your leak. Next, remove the nut for the suspect stud. If the entire stud moves with the nut, take it out. Obtain a newer stud, clean area and use loctite and/or sealant (permatex aviation would be my next choice) and reinstall.

I am not a fan of using gasket sealant on a leaky valve cover gasket - unless absolutely necessary. This particular gasket is not designed to use it and, if the gasket is fairly new and not terribly compressed and the mating metal surfaces of the head and valve cover are clean, dry and flat, all should work fine. Those gaskets should last for many years without needing replacement. Gasket sealant remnants has a tendency to find its way into the valve gear and oil passages where it does not belong. I suppose a little sealant couldn't hurt, but I also might argue that a little dirt on a windshield should not be an impediment either - even though you would rather not see any dirt.

Good luck and remember, Mister "timing light," PaulW says cleanliness is next to cleanliness if you are doing it right!

you said there is no leak from the valve cover, ergo, henceforth, the exhaust manifold stud (as stated above) is your culprit. This is an easy fix for anyone with limited skills (like me). Go for it.

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!