• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of leak is this? (Pics included)

dzlnitro

Looks like oil from the valve cover. When header leak, there is no oil, just exhaust gases and noise. If you already changed the valve cover gasket, you may have snugged it too tight.

Not exactly, As I'm sure that I'll read further down, the exhaust manifold studs go through oil passages. Worn or loose studs leak oil to the manifold. Use Blue Loctite and new gaskets to fix it.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Hi,

the oil that you see is coming from around the

exhaust stud. the stud appears to be too far threaded

into the head. remove the head cover and check to see that

the stud is flush with the inside of the head. you can

remove the cast iron header and clean the stud hole,

after taking out the stud in the cylinder head,

with brake parts cleaner and the put Lock-tite thread

locker/sealer on the stud and reinstall it. wait overnite

and put the manifold back on.

good luck

stone

I'm a pretty much beginner mechanic, think i could pull this off with basic knowledge?

Absolutely.

1. Remove all the exhaust manifold nuts. You kind of have to reach around a lot and geet under the car, so make sure that your car is cold.

2. Unbolt the exhaust hanger at the rear of the transmission. Follow the exhaust pipe from the manifold down to a bracket that supports it, which is bolted to the rear of the transmission. Romove those bolts. You should now be able to swing the exhaust manifold away from the engine. Use a bungee cord or otherwise to secure it out of the way.

3. Remove the studs. Try "double nutting" to remove them.

99121509.jpg

This procedure means turning two of the exhaust bolts onto the end of the stud. Tighten them against each other as much as you can. Then you can put a wrench on the one closest to the block and turn it (left) loose.

4. Install new gaskets, studs and nuts. They're not that expensive. Install the new studs with Loc-tite on the threads and turn them in with the same double-nut procedure as for the removal. Start from the middle of the manifold and move outward for a good seal.

5. Re-attach the exhaust hanger bracket to the transmission.

6. Have a beer.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

you said there is no leak from the valve cover, ergo, henceforth, the exhaust manifold stud (as stated above) is your culprit. This is an easy fix for anyone with limited skills (like me). Go for it.

So sayeth the Architect.

BMWArchitect.jpg

I couldn't help myself.

ClayW

Hi guys, thanks for the awesome responses! It was not valve cover gasket leak, i spent about an hour under the hood on my break in between classes on the car. I loosened the nuts on the exhaust stud on both ends, cleaned everything with a degrease solution than hand tightened the nuts back on, i didn't have any loctite, but i'm not going to use any until i buy the new gaskets and studs/nuts. So for a temporary fix, i've seemed to stop about 90-95% of the leak. It was pretty much spewing out oil, and now it's really minimal.

I will replace the valve cover gasket, well because i bought one thinking that was the problem, and why the heck not? The one on there looks pretty old anyway. Good maintenance i suppose.

Anyways, thanks for the responses! once i get around to doing the whole thing , ill give you guys a hopefully better update :D

Oh, and i see your guys concerned with my spark plug wires. Where might I purchase a heat shield for the exhaust manifold...i've been told by some people its not a header. So I guess I have no idea what a header is hehe

Oh, and i see your guys concerned with my spark plug wires. Where might I purchase a heat shield for the exhaust manifold...i've been told by some people its not a header. So I guess I have no idea what a header is hehe

It is for a 318i, here are some threads related to that particular heatshield.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,304792/highlight,heat+shield/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,304648/highlight,heat+shield/

It appears that Blunt can get them... unkorama@gmail.com

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours