• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NADA Value Guide - 1974 2002tii

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Well - I don't think I would say ridiculous. How about - Optimistic?

Then again - according to NADA the Tii has a higher value than the Turbo? Hmmm - that doesn't seem right. I've heard that the Turbo is tough to drive, but it is definitely more rare than a Tii......more collectable...more moolah? Eh?

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Well - I don't think I would say ridiculous. How about - Optimistic?

Then again - according to NADA the Tii has a higher value than the Turbo? Hmmm - that doesn't seem right. I've heard that the Turbo is tough to drive, but it is definitely more rare than a Tii......more collectable...more moolah? Eh?

One might suspect there is a connection between the "real tii" cars produced for the US market between 1972 and 1974 and the recent announcement by BMW to produce the 1-Series "tii".

While I admit this is more "marketing rhetoric" than "solid substance," the lowly 2002 and its variants, particularly the tii, is getting a pretty serious injection (pun intended) of long-anticipated interest.

Note the Inka tii produced by the Factory showing up just about everywhere and the recent commercial touting the tii as an appreciating, drivable, financial investment. Seems the Factory is playing up the nostalgia bit every bit as well as the Ford "Bullit" Mustang (and numerous other makes) marketers.

If VW can rebuild its flagging sales by making a pseudo-Beetle and BMW can put the fun back into AI's Mini and build an entire lifestyle around it, then a "Badge-Engineered" 1-Series "tii" might just be the right formula for successful sales numbers at BMW.

If the value of "real" tiis go up in the process, well, I guess I can suffer along with the best of the other owners.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Sorry, I just don't believe the tii has suddenly become 3x the price of an Alfa GTV 2000. Typically these are about the same.

I would use that for insurance valuation purposes though, if I were you.

A glitch...is that a mistake? Could the disparate values be due to the fact that Alfa Romeo doesn't market in the USA anymore?

I love the Alfas as much as the next person. But I've not seen as many nice ones as I've seen 2002s for quite a few years.

You don't have to believe NADA as a recognized authority, but I will do as as you said and take that $20,000+ figure to the bank.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

only then will they not be BS prices. It's one thing for ebay suckers, the rich, newbies and fools to pay to be a propeller driver. It's another for those of us in the '02 know to do it. If Delia pays these prices for the various grades of Tii to replace her car I'll accept these values. Which of you '02-it-alls will pay 15.2k for a Tii DD?

Original MSRP: $5,682

Low Retail Value $15,200

Average Retail Value $23,100

High Retail Value $43,100

Low Retail Value

This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value

This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

High Retail Value

This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

Average Retail Value $23,100

This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

I just showed this to my wife as I bought my '73 tii 3 years ago for $2,300, a tenth of the avg. retail value. If you recall, I bought this after accepting a severance from a company and didn't have a job. She was pissed at the time. She is a believer now.

Long live the '02 ! ! ! !

Doug - never one to say 'I told you so' : )

'73 tii Atlantik

value of an '02 of any type. These NADA values are not necessarily unrealistic stated-amount insurance values for your '02, at least for good to perfect examples. Let's take my '74 for example, but first the NADA on my '02 . . .

$8,550 $11,850 $19,400

137k original miles, nice original paint, nice original interior (plus Recaros) etc., i.e I'd call it half-way between average and high in condition (and probably closer to high but it has its minor flaws). I've never been worried about how much I could sell if for, but I've become concerned over how much it would take to restore (like condition, not bucket to concours) it to its current condition if something happened such as an accident or keyjob on the paint. I've had it with Hagerty at 12k for many years, and this year raised it to 14k, but I'm still concerned how much it would cost to repaint the car to factory quality if something did happen, let alone any bodywork or parts needed. I used to think an 8k paint job might be as good as factory, but I'm beginning to doubt it could be done for that these days. I'm beginning to think 10-12k might be the ballpark just on paint these days, and I should probably be valuing my car at the high value insurance-wise. We should all look at this issue regardless of what we think our cars are worth for the simple sale of the '02.

So what would it cost to get a factory quality paint job these days? I've never had an accident so I have no experience getting a car painted and only have a general idea of cost from posts on this board.

t13.jpg

So what would it cost to get a factory quality paint job these days? I've never had an accident so I have no experience getting a car painted and only have a general idea of cost from posts on this board.

That could vary widely, depending on where you live and what local shops charge for hourly rates. I had friend paint a '71 for me for a restoration, and got what I consider an absolute steal at $3,500, but that was only paint - I had to install the glass and all trim. Although the car was in nearly pristine condition, with very little bodywork required prior to paint, he took it down to bare steel and worked from there. (This paint job included the engine bay, trunk and door jambs.)

By contrast, another friend does restorations, and he would cost $20k to $30k for a full restoration - range depends on on the usual classic '02 rust areas, whether it would need new rear inner fenders, etc.

A complete seal kit costs in the neighborhood of $900 from Maxmillian, for instance, if you're going to update all the rubber when you make it shiny.

-Karl

'73 '02 

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1972&m=1026&d=1469&c=7&vi=62454&z=64151&da=1

NADA shows $19,400 for a High Retail 1972 2002.

I guess in another 10 years it will match what I've invested in the restoration...

DAV_3033_600.jpg

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White