• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dilema - Do I sell my new Tii to buy Porsche?

e21bob

This is a good one! I was in a shop the other day picking up my 530iT after a coolant flush and was talking to the manager about 911's. I fancy the older and slower 912 myself, big style points. Anyway he had stated that the one from the 80's to get would be an 88 or 87 and said the rest have problems and are hard to maintain.

Now I too like yourself have always wanted a Porsche but have been unwilling to part with the money for one, merely to ride around in one and be part of that crowd.

I actually have Porsche guys always ask about my 02 because lets face it you see more 911's then you see 02's.

I would do the tii up in a big way the prices are going up it's been said to be 1 of the 10 cars ifrom that era to collect. It will be cheap to maintain and will always have a good resale value. Put the money in the tii there may not be a substitute but it ain't the Ultimate Driving Machine

TTyMiller

We seem to be of the same wave length. Good info! And words of wisdom. I agree I will continue with my project as excited as always and do it as I always have envisioned.

Thanks

Robert

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ask myself the same question everyday too! In the ideal world one should own both, as they are different animals. In the ideal world, money should not be a factor, it is purely an emotional decision. The way I see it, one should own two daily drivers, anymore than that, goes to waste (I am guilty). I think they will both bring a smile on your face. Life is short. I need to sale one of my cars - but I don't want to!

FAQ Member # 91

I was thinking the same thing about wave length when I read your post!

I was like, wow this guy sounds like me.

I would seriously hook up the 02. I don't know if your a purist stock guy or a guy that’s going to drop in some nice Recaros or Konigs do the 15s put on a front air dam nice Momo or Nardi etc., but which ever way you go you can't go wrong with that 02. Like I said, there is nothing like being at the filling station and the guy with the Porsche walks over to you to check your ride out; damn I love that shit.

One last thing don't put one of those new radios in it with the jumping dolphin display, get an old school Becker Europa II they have an input for an ipod adapter.

Send me an email ttymilleratyahoodotcom.

That Porsche quickly sounds like a money pit and not worth buying at that price. Rebuilding the engine could easily set you back $10K. Porsche SC's are not overwhelming cars to drive, they lack power in my opinion, cool to drive and look at, but not quick and their handling is so so stock. You'll need to get a 911 or 930 turbo to fill that space. Those are really fast cars, but are very expensive to maintain.

As for you dilemma, I'd keep what you have and finish it. a good tii is always in demand, even though you many not "make" money finishing your car at least you can enjoy it once done for some time. Then sell and buy something else.

The Porsche market has been on fire these past 3 years, prices have doubled and nearly tripled lately from what they were not too long ago. I feel prices will soon stabilize and maybe even start to drop some in the next 2-3 years. Only the early cars (pre 1974) will continue to hold their value and then only those that have good documentation and hopefully numbers matching engines. I've just been to some car auctions and demand is getting soft for collectors cars some. Only good deals where selling, nice cars for reasonable sums where not. Clones, cars with incorrect engines or othewise not right no one wanted. Porsches are overinflated right now, they will self correct soon. Then buy one.

WH

I've had a few 911s and still own one now. The sound of the aircooled motors are just plain wonderful. I love my 02 just as much but two totally different driving experiences. As most have said, parts are $$$ and you will not get freebies parts like you do occasionally from 02 members. But P-car folks are good people too. If you do decide to get a Carrera, I'd spend 5-6k more and get a more sorted example with lower miles and just enjoy it. Even the 78-83 SC are nice, plus they are all holding their value. Just don't jump on the first one you see. Take your time and shop.

The prices on the early 911s (pre 73) are out of control right now. If the vaule of Tiis double, the 911s will probably quadruple. Most likely, if you can afford one now, you can afford to keep the Tii AND get the Carrera. I'm always looking for an ol' longhood with a 3.2 or 3.6 motor myself. GL

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

lives on the north end of town on 99 West.

As an ex Porsche owner ('72 914, '73 T Targa, 3 356's), my thoughts pretty much mirror many of the other posts - I've always loved Porsches (especially 356's) but the combination of all costs associated with maintenance and ownership and the gradual shift in "attitude" of many Porsche owners drove me from the fold.

Our last one (the Targa) was a completely original southern/western car with zero rust or collision damage, desireable color (Tangerine - midway between Inka and Colorado) with factory air and Recaros. It still ran well, but needed the engine gone through (over $8k then with all of the really-oughta-do-it upgrades), transaxle resealed and clutch replaced ($2k+), new carpets (close to $1k for correct velour), a/c gone through & compressor upgraded (close to $2k), plus lots of little detail stuff addressed, and it was starting to have paint issues. If we'd done all the work it needed, we'd be about at break-even at today's values (IF the paint had held to gether reasonably well, and not counting any other work or maintenance work).

We sold it in 1999 for just under $9k, bought our '69 sunroof in 2000 and haven't looked back

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

i own a few cars 74 TR-6 , 74 M2, cobra kit car and 88 porsche cab hate to say it but most porsche owners are dicks . they think that its the only sports car in the world . i like my 88 but the M2 will smoke it unless you do all the work to keep it up its big $$$$$ a bosch crank senor for a BMW about 50$ a bosch crank senor for a porsche 165$ for the same fuckin part it makes me sick whenever i have to buy somthing for it . 215k miles would scare me . look around their out their .i found mine with 65k for 17k it needed a new top and the rear calipers were sticking

REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

Barry Allen

You pretty much sized it up. Words of wisdom is demonstrated by your answer. I just would not be able to handle the long term expense of the porsche, so my decision is that I will not go that route. Today I'm working on my Tii with ambition to get my restoration finished, which will take a while.

By the way, my daughter is a full time Oregon State student and soccer player. She is having the time of her life there. Also, did you see the Allstate national poll that voted Corvallis the number one choice small size city for safety? Good to know.

Well anyway thanks for your feedback.

Robert V

Guest Anonymous

Not sure I fully agree with your generalizations. I have owned or had much use of numerous exotic cars including a MMistral, a F 308, 72 Dino, 67 L88, Pantera 02, a 73 911S, AH 300, MKIII and an odd 02. Bar none, my favorite was the 911S. No matter how hard it was driven, it delivered performance and never once let me down. It was simple to work on, the engine and transaxle were easy to remove. Maybe I was just lucky, maybe it was because I over maintained just about all my cars - including my Pontiacs and Plymouth GTX.

There are many Porsche owners who think everything of their cars and some who probably think they designed and manufactured the cars too. But I have witnessed a porsche owner drive 100+ miles out of his way just to offer assistance to a fellow entusiast. Porsche owners do not have a monopoly on being opinionated egotists and overcharging for parts, service or friendship. Look no further than this board and you will find good and bad and probably a lot more of both exist that is not reflected by this board.

Didn't I read a post like this several months ago. Ownership and model preference is entirely subjective. So is hair color and body type. I am sure there are Yugo and Trabant devotees too, just as some think the world can be saved by seafoam. The 02 is a nice balanced package, it can do a number of things and carry a couple of passengers and groceries. Can't carry as much as the Range Rover, yet my current wife thinks if we get an M1, it will be an excuse to have all groceries delivered.

Guest Anonymous
Porsche owners do not have a monopoly on being opinionated egotists and overcharging for parts, service or friendship. Look no further than this board and you will find good and bad and probably a lot more of both exist that is not reflected by this board.

Here's someone who can't wait three bloody hours for free advice! http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,302457/