• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taillights

eugene_'02

my old lenses were kind of like that. I attacked them with some Meguires plastic cleaner. Take them out and clean the inside plastic surfaces.

Here are some before and after. It made a huge difference.

OldLeft.jpgbefore

OldLeftClean.jpgafter

Cleaners.jpgthe stuff

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3M #425 or 427, I work for 3M, I get a good deal on it. BTW I would be afraid to use different than standard bulbs due to potential higher heat and occasional fumes in the trunk.

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

3M #425 or 427, I work for 3M, I get a good deal on it. BTW I would be afraid to use different than standard bulbs due to potential higher heat and occasional fumes in the trunk.

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

... sockets, because you will be blinding the drivers behind you at night and overstressing the headlight switch and wiring. By "taillight" I mean the ones that are on when the headlights are on, not the stop, turn, or backup lights.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

... sockets, because you will be blinding the drivers behind you at night and overstressing the headlight switch and wiring. By "taillight" I mean the ones that are on when the headlights are on, not the stop, turn, or backup lights.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Don't try to use either 21 or 27 watt regular 1156 bulbs in those 5W sockets. They WILL melt your taillight lenses. (ask me how I know.) Notice that on the squaretail there's a fresnel/faceted clear insert in the lens, just in front of that bulb. It puts the plastic that much closer to the bulb. (That's why a 1156 is OK installed in the brake position - the larger gap distance, plus the fact that it's not 'always on'.)

You CAN use an 1156 LED bulb safely in that socket however for much brighter light and no fear of melting the lenses.

HTH,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Don't try to use either 21 or 27 watt regular 1156 bulbs in those 5W sockets. They WILL melt your taillight lenses. (ask me how I know.) Notice that on the squaretail there's a fresnel/faceted clear insert in the lens, just in front of that bulb. It puts the plastic that much closer to the bulb. (That's why a 1156 is OK installed in the brake position - the larger gap distance, plus the fact that it's not 'always on'.)

You CAN use an 1156 LED bulb safely in that socket however for much brighter light and no fear of melting the lenses.

HTH,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

will melt the lenses. My new '69 was delivered (unbeknownst to me) with the brake light switch misadjusted so the brake lights were on for the fifty mile drive home. That melted the lenses, and the dealer had to replace both on a car just a few days old.

Brake lights, turn signals and backup lights are meant to be left on for only 30-60 seconds at a time...they all use the 21 watt bulbs. Use the 5 watt bulb for taillights...if you want 'em brighter, follow previously posted instructions for cleaning the lenses and using aluminum foil or mylar tape to brighten the reflectors.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

will melt the lenses. My new '69 was delivered (unbeknownst to me) with the brake light switch misadjusted so the brake lights were on for the fifty mile drive home. That melted the lenses, and the dealer had to replace both on a car just a few days old.

Brake lights, turn signals and backup lights are meant to be left on for only 30-60 seconds at a time...they all use the 21 watt bulbs. Use the 5 watt bulb for taillights...if you want 'em brighter, follow previously posted instructions for cleaning the lenses and using aluminum foil or mylar tape to brighten the reflectors.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

use only 'stock' B.M.W. SILVER TIP LIGHT BULBS

ALTERNATIVE TO FOIL MATERIAL:

MORE LIGHT from tail lites = simple..............

clean or purchase tail lens, remove the bulb holder/reflector, wipe out with solvent, respray blackened reflector with white paint, clean metal bulb sockets, go to dealer and buy all new stock bulbs, buy new body gasket and foam string lens gaskets, reassemble. VERY BRIGHT, even with lights off !

Listen to others here - DO NOT install higher wattage bulbs!

Restore the reflector and clean the lens.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

use only 'stock' B.M.W. SILVER TIP LIGHT BULBS

ALTERNATIVE TO FOIL MATERIAL:

MORE LIGHT from tail lites = simple..............

clean or purchase tail lens, remove the bulb holder/reflector, wipe out with solvent, respray blackened reflector with white paint, clean metal bulb sockets, go to dealer and buy all new stock bulbs, buy new body gasket and foam string lens gaskets, reassemble. VERY BRIGHT, even with lights off !

Listen to others here - DO NOT install higher wattage bulbs!

Restore the reflector and clean the lens.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"