• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320 alt upgrade problem

schliske

I installed a rebuilt 320 alternator in my '70'02 and the battery seemed to lose charge occasionally. My dash warning light is out of action right now so I'm not sure if it is trying to warn me. I realized that at night when I start it the headlights and dash lights are a bit dim but when I rev it to 3000+ something happens and the lights get bright. They stay that way even at idle until I shut it down. If I make sure to do this every time I start it the battery stays charged. I know this isn't good for the engine. Voltage regulator? All connections and grounds are clean but the battery is getting old. Thanks- Michael

your charging system. It actually has two positive leads going to it (vs a + and -). One positive lead comes from the battery and causes the light to illuminate when the ignition is on but the engine is off. The other lead comes from the alternator, and once the engine is running, its positive charge "cancels" the positive on the other side of the bulb, causing it to go out. On at least some 2002s, the charging system won't work if the bulb is burned out. At least, that's what I've been told.

Also, your 320 alternator has an internal voltage regulator, so you shouldn't be using the external one that came with your '02 (metal can just above the battery). Check the archives for proper wiring diagram for an E21 alternator used in a 2002...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On internal regulated alt like yours the charge light IS needed.The current running thru the charge light also runs thru the alt and `excites` the alt to start it charging.OR as you have found out if you spin the alt fast enough it will `self excite`.

You can just rev the engine in 1st or 2nd gear after the engine is warmed up if you don`t want to replace the charge lamp.

Just check that your wiring is correct too.

Mal.

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400318 resto

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400178 parts

RHD 1800 NK sedan VIN 0998094 parts

RHD 320i E21 5 speed parts

RHD 1602 ? twin mikunis,5 speed. POS driver