• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for something like a 'modern' 2002, any ideas?

AustrianVespaGuy

I picked up a '98 318ti with 92K on the clock back in March for $5400. Yeah, it won't set the world on fire with astonishing 0-60 times. But it's got plenty of get up'n go for a daily driver, and I average 28-30 MPG. I enjoy driving it and am happy with my purchase. If the wagon/hatchback form factor hadn't been a critical requirement for me I would have seriously looked for a late e30.

summer07_800_02.jpg

Martin

'73tii rustoration

2002tii-restoration.org

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 for the 318ti option as well. they have loads more room in the back than you would think and the back seats aren't terribly uncomfortable. very good mileage too. i have a friend with a '95 and he loves it. we loaded a coffee table in it with the seats down quite easily.

you'll have to be patient in finding a 318ti with a 5spd though...all the ones i found were autos. $6k-$7k should be a very nice example. i couldn't find one i liked in our area after looking for about 6 months, so i went with a 2006 MINI, not the S. the 02-06 MINI Cooper S has so many after market go-fast bits that I figured I'd end up blowing half my 02 budget on MINI stuff. the non-S is a perfect daily driver. not a lot of power, but a blast to drive...a manual trans is a must! the autos are dogs and slow as hell in non-S trim.

there is plenty of room in the MINI for groceries, even with the rear seats up. and if you aren't too tall...6' or above, you can fit a short person behind you. with a short person in the front seat, taller folks 6'+ fit in the back fairly well. my wife and i love our '06. it gets 32-34 mpg driving to and from work and just a bit more on the highway...not the most aerodynamic car on the road, plus we have a roof rack. if you do decide to go for a MINI, you'll pay a bit more than $10k but you may find one still under warranty. try for an '04, '05 or '06...the newer the better. consult here for more info:

http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

the sentra SE-R is an interesting option too. i know a guy that rallies/rally-Xes one and it is fast! i also know a fellow that autoXes a neon ACR, another good option. the engine is the transmount FWD, but the little 4-banger is easy to get at. again, go for a stick, autos are slugs. the engine is similar in layout to the first generation BMW MINI Tritec engine, reliable and bulletproof for the most part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritec_engine

the honda fit is also supposed to be fairly fun to drive...sort of ugly in my book, but very versatile...as is the element, not as much fun to drive though.

the scion xB is a nice little scoot about, definitely plenty of room in there for passengers. rode in another buddy's xB about 3 hours to go look at some 02s on the VA coast. i didn't like the driver seat, but i'm a bigger guy and it was uncomfortable for me. it was fun to drive, despite his being an auto. i sort of like the tC too, but i think it has the V6 layout you are hoping to avoid. too bad the suzuki swift isn't here yet, it looks like a fun one too. i dig the Swift and the SX4 crossover...especially in WRC rally garb!

good luck!

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

The 318ti and 318is are great choices.

That being said...

In the newer car world go for the WRX. That and the older one with the stupid fake hood scoop Impreza RS 2.5 are great cars and are the modern equivalent to a 2002. Now I know the car is radically different to an o2 but the people are the same (kind of) people. It's a practical 4 seater, good in the snow, good in amateur motorsports and other than being a little on the plasticy side very well made. The AWD system is not complicated at all and Road & Track tec guy Dennis Semantis (sp?) said that in it's simplicity and function it is superior to the AWD system in an Audi. It has 2 viscus LSD's. Center and rear diff. My WRX is now almost 7 years old with 87K on it, and it has had the living crap beaten out of it. I can't tell you how many 5Krpm launches it has done and I'm still on the original clutch. The flat four is a cool motor with plenty of personality and cool sounds.

I love our 2004 TDi Jetta wagon but it is a very complex car and I'm ashamed to admit it but I take it to the dealer for the oil change every 10K miles. Many special tools are involved for many repairs. To get an idea of how integrated these cars are. I had a friend that owns a professional scan tool do a scan on our Jetta. It took almost 20 minutes and said something was wrong with the CD player to stereo connection. (We have an Alpine 6 disc MP3 player running through a converter harness for the Monsoon stereo....

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

you get the most bang for the buck with the late year e30's, both the 325is or the 318is (1991 only for the 318is). the big plus to the "is" cars ar ethe sport seats, which are very comfy and provide very adequate support for spirited driving. i don't know about the 325is, but the 318is did not have a LSD as stock equipment (mine does not have one).

we own a 325i. modded to be essentially a 325is with a better suspension, with a 4.10LSD, but without sport seats, and a 318is which is box stock except for the suspension.

if you really want a 2002 type experience, the 318is is the obvious choice, as it is more nimble, and feels lighter on the road than the 325i, with a great motor that revs right to red-line without hesitation.

that being said, the 325 models are great fun also, just heavier feeling and quicker with more horsepower. a really fun car, just not nimble feeling. it does however feel like it's built from a single piece of steel, just plain solid.

the e30's are tanks, reliable, plenty of mod options/styling options, trackable, and economical.

$4k as mentioned will get you a cherry low mileage 318is, and about $5-6k for the same condition 325is.

good advice IMHO above. save your $ on the price of the car, use the savings to put on eibach or H&R springs and bilstein sports, along with bigger sway bars (need to mod the attachment pieces to stronger mounts for the sway bars). you'll spend less than most suggestions above, and have a car that will out-handle 99% of the cars on the road. you'll look for the long way home most days....

post-348-13667584126034_thumb.jpg

post-348-13667584132183_thumb.jpg

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

The 318ti and 318is are great choices.

That being said...

In the newer car world go for the WRX. That and the older one with the stupid fake hood scoop Impreza RS 2.5 are great cars and are the modern equivalent to a 2002. Now I know the car is radically different to an o2 but the people are the same (kind of) people. It's a practical 4 seater, good in the snow, good in amateur motorsports and other than being a little on the plasticy side very well made. The AWD system is not complicated at all and Road & Track tec guy Dennis Semantis (sp?) said that in it's simplicity and function it is superior to the AWD system in an Audi. It has 2 viscus LSD's. Center and rear diff. My WRX is now almost 7 years old with 87K on it, and it has had the living crap beaten out of it. I can't tell you how many 5Krpm launches it has done and I'm still on the original clutch. The flat four is a cool motor with plenty of personality and cool sounds.

[snip]

John

Completely agree. The WRX is the modern 2002. It even has the somewhat odd look as the 02 did (esp. from a few years ago). Incredibly practical, rugged, and quite sporty. I have a 2003 WRX wagon and can't image getting rid of it. ~28 MPG on the highway, ~230 HP with some basic enhancements.

Dave...

Prep the jet car for city driving

It's just not the same as the 02. It’s heavier with no more power than a tii, less visability and it has a really heavy flywheel that keeps the power from getting to the ground. Also, having owned one, I just had a lot more confidence in the dependability my 02s then in that M42.

A properly maintained 02 is a great daily driver.

-Jaycen PNW2002

i've got a 1997 A4 1.8t Quattrro...great car. i've racked up 150k and it's still running strong. not rwd but awd is pretty cool. not as light on its feet as a 2002 but i'd buy another one. you can find nice ones for around 10k. stay away from the 3.8 v6. also, you can chip the 1.8 an add about 50hp (the computer adds boost to the turbo).

Chris

--------------------

1972 '02 Riviera

1972 '02 Charmonix (Deceased)

1997 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Bamboo -- 4 SALE

1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro S-Line Silver