• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a rookie like myself replace my diff?

Armond

Is it a "slap it" in kind of deal? I have the necessary tools and already have converted to 5 speed. Are there any tricks to make sure it's all balanced? thanks

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

my advice. Reasearch what needs to be done alot! then throw yourself in headlong when you have planty of time. After alot of cursing swearing and frustration I always seem to come out the otherside with the task done. Best way to learn really!

As for the diff - no idea? best of luck, im going to watch your thread to see what the experts have to say.

although you are probably aware make sure the car is properly suspended and cannot fall on you. Ask my crushed scissor jack how it knows!

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

Yeah, the diff is remarkably easy. Just make sure you have a set of allen bits with one that will fit the allen bolts on the CVs, and 4 new locking nuts for the driveshaft. Make sure the car is supported rock solid, and follow the steps in the Haynes manual.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

you can do it

good advice up above to allow plenty of time (a full Saturday) cause there will be things you don't anticipate, like haveing to turn the rear wheels to be able to reach and unscrew the CV joint to diff socket head cap screws.

remember to replace the rubber bushings in the diff carrier while you're in there.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Is it a "slap it" in kind of deal? I have the necessary tools and already have converted to 5 speed. Are there any tricks to make sure it's all balanced? thanks

Sounds like an episode of Bob the Builder!

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

WE CAN DO IT!

Seriously, That job is not all that hard, but having a full-on BBQ usually helps things along. OK, so it doesn't make the job go any faster. In fact, it'll probably slow you down. I can bring some yellow hardhats.

One piece of advice is that diff's are heavy. If it falls, make sure it has something soft to break its' fall...like your arm or shoulder.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Cris, It's more like Bob Vila.

Steve, I can BBQ any day. Just let me know if you are available. What about this Saturday? I can swing by after Cris's gig

What I meant was, my car already has the 5 speed conversion and LSD. I simply want to swap another diff. I have removed an LSD and a tranny but have not installed one.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Here's an alternative suggestion to spice things up a bit:

What about dropping the whole rear subframe? Sounds a little crazy but it's actually a great opportunity to rebuild the whole rear end, bushings, subframe carriers, brake lines AND replacing the diff will be SUPER EASY.

It's very easy. Jack up the car, remove rear wheels, unbold back of the driveshaft (support it so you don't thrash your ctr. bearing), unbolt your shocks at the trailing arms, unbolt the rear diff hanger, unbolt the subframe carrier bolts & keeper/complaince arms. Lower down subframe and rebuild.

It'll take you just about as much time as wresteling with the diff and getting it out by yourself. AND putting the diff back in by yourself is a PITA (sounds like you'll have help) because those suckers are heavy and there is no good way to get them up and in there. Just one word of advice - whatever you do don't bold down the diff until you have the driveshaft connected. There is a little play and you'll appreciate being able to line up the diff to the driveshaft rather than the other way around.

Good luck

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Hi Armond.

I recently did a complete rear end replacement when I rebuilt the LSD and halfshafts. If you have the time and space, it really is not that difficult, just takes time. The diff is heavy once it is unbolted and takes some doing to remove and replace it, but after that it is just turning wrenches.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

It's very easy. Jack up the car, remove rear wheels, unbold back of the driveshaft (support it so you don't thrash your ctr. bearing), unbolt your shocks at the trailing arms, unbolt the rear diff hanger, unbolt the subframe carrier bolts & keeper/complaince arms. Lower down subframe and rebuild.

Where, exactly, do you put the jackstands while you drop the rear subframe out? I had started this, using the jack points, but the car didn't feel stable at all...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog