• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need pics of engine bay - bone stock 70 with 6 fuse

Mars

Thanks Blunt.

Actually, post whatever you have. I am trying to verify something that I guess I just never really noticed before or simply never paid attention to.

what is this?

mystery.jpg

It sits on the driver side firewall just above where the booster normally is. what the heck is it? I must admit I can't think of what it is and I'm pretty comfortable with these cars.

Also, there is another piece behind the passenger headlight that I couldn't make out. I'll try and post that. I may edit this post if I get it.

thanks.

As far as I can make out, it says "cleaner" on it. The other thing kind of looks like SKU. It gets too blurry after I blow it up with imaging software.

No hoses that I can see. Has ribbed lines like an accordian going all the way down. Can't make out if it is metal or rubber or what along the sides.

I hate not knowing something... :)

That box behind the headlight looks like a Delta Mark Ten capacitive discharge ignition unit. Popular "upgrade" back in the day, I think I have a few sitting in a box somewhere. The thing in the left rear corner of the engine compartment looks like an air filter, possibly an add on for the emissions air pump. Both aren't stock.

What color is that car supposed to be?

1...as previously stated, the box on the pax side is a Delta Mk 10 CD system...I've been using one since my 69 was brand new and swear by 'em. Uses the original points, but the points only carry 12 volts since they're used as a relay to trigger the CD system. 35-40k volt spark will fire the oiliest, cruddiest plug you can imagine. Unfortunately Delta Products (Grand Junction Col) is long out of business. Whenever I see one at a flea market I buy it for a spare, but they seem to be extremely long-lived. The best ones are the Mk 10B, since they have a switch to turn em off and go back to conventional ingnition if they do fail.

2...the round item on the firewall is, I think one of those bypass oil filters that use a roll of toilet paper as a filter medium. At least that's what it looks like. If it has two heavy hoses at the bottom, that's probably what it is, and has most likely been disconnected. Those things were very popular back in the 60s and 70s and apparently did a pretty good job of filtering--but they're bypass filters so never get all the oil like a "full flow" filter (what came with the car) does.

As Delia would say, both are "period accessories."

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite