• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New knocking noise in rear end - Help

geubanks

Hello - I would appreciate anyone's help in diagnosing a new noise from the rear of my 1972 2002. It's definitely a knocking noise that increases in tempo the faster the wheels spin and slows as I roll to a stop.

The noise is not related to engine rpm at all but is there when I am moving. The cars runs great and handles as before but the noise is becoming more frequent. The sound dissipates over 3000rpm but I assume it's still there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

rear axle, make sure the bolts holding the axles to the diff aren't loose. They've been known to do so (happened to me twice), and when they get loose, they'll shear off the bolts one by one until the axle parts company from the diff. Then you don't go anywhere unless you have a limited slip.

Easy fix, though...just make sure the old bolts aren't bent or the threads boogered up...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just for the record, even with a normally functioning 75% lsd the car won't go with one axle unbolted at the diff, with no resistance on that side the clutches won't set and it will act like a open diff.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

When I my Cv joint came unbolted from the diff flange the car would just creep along at maybe 1 MPH or less and my LSD is a 75%er that works fine, it locks up while parallel parking. If you remove your wheel you will still have the weight and resistance of the axle and brakes to set your clutches harder than just the bare output flange will set them.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.