• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whose fake INKA Tii at Fry's in Burbank on Wednesday . . .

f1reverb

at 2:08pm? My oldest friend, Kevin, who is also the original (and only owner besides me) owner of my '02 saw this '02 parked at Fry's. Now Kevin mentiond the exhaust coming out incorrectly as a '74 tii should be on the right, so what's the story? Kevin thought the car looked great and wants to know the who/what/when/where/why/how of this car. Kevin's current Toyota Corolla XRS is on the left in the front picture. Photos by Kevin of course.

kev1.jpg

kev2.jpg

t13.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

on a '74 tii has the exhaust cutout on the right side, not in the center, which was for '75 and '76 models. It looks like a nice restoration, and if you had a squarie tii (which means only a '74) you normally wouldn't put on a 75/76 rear valence for your restoration and have the exhaust come out the center, ergo it's probably badge engineering a tii out of a regular 2002. Nothing wrong with that either, just curious.

It's that way on a '75/'76 from the factory

it's that way on a 75 & 76 from the factory

so...does a tii that no longer has an injected engine but just a carb'd one remain a tii.......?

does a badge make the car or an engine?

i think its the motor that makes it a tii. i have an e30 non M3 with all M3 running gear and motor but its not an M3. but who cares? build em how you like em and drive em. thats a really nice looking car.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

does a badge make the car or an engine?

What a tough question! Usually, the current trend here is when someone buys a 316 or a 318 BMW or even a Mercedes with a 1.8 engine (can't remember the series, I don't look at them) they "debadge" them. They take the 318 badge off and patch up the back. The only answer I have for them doing that, they are ashamed of the car they bought because of the tiny engine. My guess is that they like the look of the car, but couldn't necessarily buy that M5 they were aiming for, hence "going undercover".

So in turn, and I know this will sound bad, I think that if the badge on the grille and back of Karl said "2002tii", I would feel somewhat more superior than with the normal everyday "2002". The tii's are harder to come by, even real ones, however, it's easier to buy a badge off eBay than it is to actually spend the big dollars to buy an original or custom fit the EFI. My answer - badge + engine = car.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

so a motor transplant (if there is one in this particular car) alone would not a tii make. Insurance-wise, the VIN is king, and even if you put everything a tii had (including the clock) on your 2002, it would not be a tii for an insurance company, but a modified vehicle 2002. CJ, is it a tii or not? I see posts on this board arguing whether an ebay advertised tii with an improper VIN is a tii or not, but here the posters say a tii is just an engine transplant away for a 2002.

on a '74 tii has the exhaust cutout on the right side, not in the center, which was for '75 and '76 models. It looks like a nice restoration, and if you had a squarie tii (which means only a '74) you normally wouldn't put on a 75/76 rear valence for your restoration and have the exhaust come out the center, ergo it's probably badge engineering a tii out of a regular 2002. Nothing wrong with that either, just curious.

my 74tii has a center exaust simply from the fact that making those idiot bends in such a short place is a pain in the ass if you are making your own exhaust

as I had one with my Abarth on my '69 1600-2 along with Turbo fenders, spoilers and stripes. But unless you changed the rear valence you'd still have the right-side exhaust cutout cut out.

ya i've been kind of debating this on my ol 74

I've got a rear end body section from a 75 that is pretty cherry and the plan is to replace the rear of my rusty tii rather than do the bondo deal on all those problem areas. So should I stick with the side exaust or should I just use the center exaust (which from a mechanical and practical standpoint is way easier).

Also my 74 must have had some body damage up front in its life cos its got a snorkle (or it might have got that from BMW originally.. who knows).

I don't want to 'devalue' the tii by going out the center but at the same time I don't ever plan on selling this car..

so when I get done my 74tii might look just like this one .. a true tii with a center exaust.

no biggie .. i just wonder if that guy has a tii and did some body work is all.

boy that bend sure sucks though.. never heard the story why they went out the side in the first place when its so obvious that it should go down the center. I suspect there was some kind of law in place about that in germany or something

cheers

-z