• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust findings, and big score, and a long journey (long)

dubois

I have been dealing with an exhaust leak, it seems like forever, so I finally "ordered" the local muffler shop to re-do the whole thing a couple months ago, at whatever cost, but to make sure the sob would not leak. Well, part of the problem of living in a small town is that there is only one(1) muffler shop. Besides there is just only one toothless muffler rat that does all the work, and now I am convinced that my dog can weld better than this guy, despite his 30 years experience, he is a total butcher. He does allright attaching flowmasters on big pickup trucks, but when it come to fine automobiles, such as mine, he is completely out of his league.

Part of the problem is that since I am "supposedly", generating more horsepower, I needed a header, and a bigger exhaust system to handle all the additional flow. So, the consensus dictated a free flow exhaust muffler and resonator, and 2"+ tubing. So that's what I got, with a bunch of mandrel bent tubing and numerous weld joints that leaked, because my muffler rat in Hollister insisted in welding the entire system together on the car. The free flow muffler (an oximorum) was horrible too, might as well run a straight pipe! The noise... well I am just too old for that.

So I started doing some research, while I still had some brain cells left, on available "performance" exhaust systems. Here what I came up, after talking to people, searching the forum and surfing the net.

1. Ansa (everybody complaint about the noise)

2. Supersprint ($900 for mufler and resonator), probably a good choice since I already have their header, but $900 bucks!, that is a plane ticket to my favorite destination!

3. Stock - not free flow, "too restrictive"

4. Ireland - very tempting at $399 (stainless steel), but not available for a couple weeks - actually I may still go this route (I talked to them today and the first 25 probably will not last long at that price)

5. Ireland other best value, which is a generic muffler and resonator, but then you have to take this to your local muffler shop for fitting. (nooooooo!)

6. Go out of town for muffler work (thanks for the offer Cris)

While I was pondering about my dilema all day today, I looked at my parking lot and I realized that there I have a parts car (the one we took a nose for Steve Jackson's tii), for the hell of it, I crawled under, and there is this seemingly brand new BMW stock muffler and resonator. What I have to loose? It can't be any worse than my POS system. In about half hour the dam thing is installed in my car (that is the beauty of stock). I take it for a road test inmediately, and here are my findings:

1. No leaks

2. Nice sound, quiet! I can hear my CDs!

3. Increased bottom end

4. Revs a lot smoother

5. Top end remains strong to 6K

How could this be? It defies conventional wisdom and everything I have read about exhaust system!

I think part of the problem has been that yes a 2" tubing and free flow muffler will add horsepower, but at what cost (noise), and at what rpms (6-7k?), The race folks do wonders developing these systems, but they live on the track. The other problem is that these systems in order to be effective, they have to be complete, ie all the pieces integrated and tested as a unit, not the piece meal approach (take this muffler, this resonator, this pipe, bend it, etc). I am for one guilty of downplaying the exhaust role's as simply a way to exit engine fumes and lower its noise level, instead of thinking of it as being part of the motor.

I was so happy with the results that I opened a good bottle of wine to celebrate, this time the alcohol will be the one that will kill my brain cells not the exhaust!

Any thoughts, experiences???

FAQ Member # 91

I'm told that the Tii engines do not like the 2 or 2-1/2 pipe. It has something to do with back pressure. Thought about doing it but decided not to. Glad to hear your car runs swell. I'm happy with mine as well.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I recently swapped my header for a tii manifold and stock downpipe. I agree, quieter, smoother, seemingly no loss of power, but I really can't tell. I'm happy! Granted, it was a cheap no-name header, but I do like the lower sound level.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

Removed the old Stahl header that had been on the car for the last 12 years together with the 2" custom exhaust and replaced it with a tii exhaust manifold and a stock exhaust system.

Couldn't be happier with the reduced noise, lack of leaks and rattles and improved low-end response (at least it feels improved). I'll probably go for the turbo exhaust when I need to replace what I have now.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

There are only a few improvements, when you consider the cost vs benefit, that beat stock stuff. Maybe that is a good thread....

When we add some bling or go fast parts, we are convincing ourselves, we know more than all those BMW engineeers and machinists.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Just ordered one of those headers from 02again. It is a copy of the tii header that is lighter and will flow at least as well as the stock piece but run a little cooler and without any added NVH. That combined with a stock downpipe/exhaust is what will end up on my tii.

Though that turbo muffler is tempting. I know at one point in time my tii had a turbo muffler.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

What are the stats for this system? How big is the tubing and how does that compare to the standard 02 or 02tii (are these different than each other either)?

I have also had a great deal of trouble with an aftermarket/custom exhaust system. Mine has never really been that good.

My goal is an engine that is hotter than stock, "Hot Street" if you will. I have headers, MSD, LYNX DCOE 45, 9.8:1 JE forged, 304 or 292 Cam. I sill want to use the power between 3K - 6K RPM so I will not tune for all out race but definately hotter than stock.

I wonder if this could be the right choice for me.

Anyone with this exhaust system or info on its whereabouts please respond.

Thanks, Brent

post-678-13667570985064_thumb.jpg

yes, the supersprint header was definetely an improvement over stock tii manifold. It is expensive but it is one of the few 4-2-1 one available. It interfers with the idler bolt on the steering below, so you have to grind the top of the bolt (I wish I had known that), other than that it fits like a glove. The tii manifold felt "restrictive" for my engine. I have yet to find out which stock BMW I installed yesterday (02, tii or turbo). My guess is the plain Jane, but I would be jumping up and down if it is the latter.

This is to show that every engine is different (once modified) and that exhaust matching is not an exact science, sometimes you get lucky.

FAQ Member # 91

I had my Ansa "sport" exhaust on since I bought the car. Recently I had taken to using earplugs whenever I drove the hour up to Denver for autcrosses. At the last autocross of the season the tips broke off of the rear muffler. I scrounged around my parts shed and found the "stock" rear muffler from my parts car, put it on and LOVE IT!!

Its like I have a new car! I even bought a used car stereo to replace the old one that died now that I can hear the damn thing. I think I'm even going back to a tii manifold and dump the noisy header.

Down side: Now I can hear all the wind noise and drivetrain noise. Oh, and my wife still thinks its noisy.

Gary

The '02er formerly known as Gary in Colorado.

Guest Anonymous

One of my friend use a stock muffler from a Bravaria ans had it work out ver well with his moderately warmed up engine. perhaps what youinstalled was something similar.