• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 and Mini

JOHNAHOF

This might be sacrilege to some members here but in the name of knowledge I am sharing. We tried a set of 15" wheels and tires off a new Mini on my 76 2002 and they fit. In fact I left them on the white car and have been driving around with them for a couple of days. I am still not sure if I like the looks but I do like them better than what was on the car. I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

John Hoffner

Cars - I'll look in the driveway and let you know later.

John,

Yes, please post pictures.

I recently acquired a set of 15" Mini "phonedials" for my '74.

I'd also be interested in anything special that you have done in order to run those wheels. Also, any input that you have on the ride, handling, etc. aspects, please.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

yeah. but those things in the pic are 17" wheels.... effing huge on an '02.

I was curious about the 15" as well. How much is the offset off by? For street wheels, spacers wouldn't be too out of the question...

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

John,

My wheels are the IMOLAs, 15 inch, 45 offset.

I haven't had them on the car, yet. I'm still shopping for tires and whatever else might be needed.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

I will post pictures in the next couple of days.

Bugtustlebub, The wheels you have sound like they might be what is on my white 02. If you use the link provided by Whale, I have the R81 7-hole (aka Imola) ET45 12.0lb (5.45kg) in silver with 175/65-15 Continental ContiTouringContact tires.

By the way Whale thats a great link, thanks.

I just purchased the white 02 and it came with a terrible setup that was rubbing. Someone had put 14" BBS basketweaves with 205/60-15 tires. So needless to say the Mini wheels and tires are much better. This is my first 02 so I don't have a benchmark to compare this. But the car feels much lighter and more nimble. The ride quality has also improved. Keep in mind this info is from a guy new to the 02 world and who is more familiar with an M3 and E30 325ic. But overall I can now toss the car into a turn and it is more predictable.

I will measure the offset when I get time. But Bugt... says his are 45 and I bet mine are the same wheels.

Bugt... All I did was put the rims and tires on the car, check clearance and drive away.

Paul - I did not use the run flats.

c.d.iesel - I understand what you are saying about weight but these 15" rims actually weigh less than the 14" BBS that were on the car. Plus with less contact patch the car feels lighter to the touch so they work great for just hopping around town. I do worry about weight on the M3 and I run LTW forged alloys on it. I have two set, one with Yokahama road tires and another with track tires. And you are correct it does make a difference. I like the black rims in the picture. What are those? I will probably never be happy until I get a set of Minilites.

John H

Cars - I'll look in the driveway and let you know later.

The BMW center caps are avaialble from any BMW deaelrship or BLUNT could probably get them for you... they are worth about $2.50 each.

I had S-Spokes on my MINI and you can get them very cheap these days... MINI rims are 40 offset from memory - or the same size as all the rice rims. S-Spokes are exceptionally heavy.

Amongst the MINI community they are known as "S-heavy's" as back in the day they used to be called "S-lites" as a play on words of the original MINILITES brand... it was changed when MINILITE didnt appreciate the similarity in names and that the rim was heavy as hell and that is against what their brand had found its niche in the market producing.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

John,

Thanks for the pic of your car with the Imolas! I totally psyched about getting those wheels on my car.

Mine has cut fenders, turbo flares, and sits a little lower than yours.

I haven't purchased any 15" tires yet.

I was gonna buy Yoko AVS ES 100 195/50-15's. What did you put on your Imolas? Yoko's, here in the woods, will cost me $79 each, mounted and balanced.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA