• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 roof replacement?

jrhone

Hello all, well my first post here...I am looking for a 2002 for fun and a performance restoration...I found a 76 (not my ideal year) thats in pretty good shape for about $1500...the downside is it has an aftermarket "ragtop" like on the old VW bugs....I want a factory sunroof...how easy, or difficult would it be to find a wrecked sunroof car and recplace the roof at a good body shop? Now that I am actually writing this it sounds like a bad idea, but maybe others can chime in....a

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

That could be done, BUT, why don't you buy the car that you really want in the 1st place?? Buy the year, color, sunroof (or not), transmission, wheels, etc. that you like. Let the PO pay for the expensive work. Be selective once you know what you want and be patient. All of them need something once you get them, so get the best one that you can afford.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I agree, bad idea. Be patient, the right one will come along.

DON'T BUY A 76 IF YOU LIVE IN CA. Emissions equipement strangles performance and half the time won't pass the CA test. Look for 75 or older.

I speak from experience, have a 76 sitting in my driveway that won't pass.

there are enough of these cars around in great shape to find one you like. IN CA due to smog laws dont buy a 76.

It would probably cost 2-3k to reinstall a roof, headliners etc and it would never be right. the car has already been stressed so its best to RUN away from that car. to me that car is only good for parts worth 200 bucks at best.

Sam Schultz

LaValle's Import Restorations

are pretty rare in the US and if installed correctly kinda cool. Period modification that you would see pretty commonly in the UK or the continent. (Chime in here, all you Euro board folks!).

A pop-up glass sunroof would hurt the car's value, but not a slideback fabric roof. I'd say go for it if the rest of the car is decent. And the fabric roof is a lot larger than the factory steel roof...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

i would love to have a slideback fabric sunroof. the PO of my 73 put in a pop up sunroof in mine. he needs to have his ass kicked! but i got a killer deal on the car so it made up for it. i've been wondering how much it would be to have one installed. it would be better than having the non-uv magnifying glass that is in there now. any input on having one installed, Mike?

(o=00=o)

if you're careful and can weld well. And understand how to brace things while the roof is off. That's how we swap cages around in race cars- the cage is worth far more than a donor shell, so off comes the roof,

And if you have a nice car and want the factory sunroof, that's the easiest way to do it.

But I agree about the CA smog laws- the cars aren't that hard to find,

and finding a sunroof roof will take some time. And then you get to find a shop that can do it, run the sunroof drains...

wait for the right one!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL