• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drove the '02 again! First time in a year...

dlhoovler

Got back from China yesterday morning, and took a break from my jetlagged stupor to put a charger on the Orange Car's battery. This afternoon I removed the aluminum foil from the air intake and exhaust, checked over the whole engine bay, dribbled a little gas down the float-chamber vent hole on the Solex, and reconnected the battery. Then I removed the boards blocking down the clutch pedal, got in, set the choke and...

Voila! Once the fuel pump got the lines full, the car settled into a normal idle, and I eased it out of the garage. As it warmed up, I bled the tires down to 30 psi (I'd set them at 44 psi for storage, and they had only lost about 6 psi in the past 11 months).

Then I took the car on a brief shakedown tour of the neighborhood. I'm reminded again of why I love the car--the clutch, gas and shifter work together so well, and as I wound it out in first later in the drive I couldn't help but grin. I need to track down a squeak when turning the steering wheel (just once passing left or right of center). It's not accompanied by any sloppiness in the steering and sounds like it's coming from the column; don't think it's serious, but that's not something to take chances on. The brake pedal is also a little soft, so I may bleed the brakes.

Don't think I'll drive it much this year, though--I'm only home a week now and a week in August. Something about going to Texas in August makes my wife insist on taking the car with A/C...

Anyway, thanks to those of you who made it through this novel! Just excited to be behind the wheel again!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Hey Dave, welcome back! That is a long time to go without your Colorado roundie. I am glad that it worked well on its initial drive of 2006. Too bad you will not be able to do many such drives for a while. Enjoy it while you can. Hope that things have likewise gone well for you two in China.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

We're in PA for this week, then off to Wheaton, IL, for some classes through July, then a loop of Arkansas, Texas, Kentucky and back to Pennsylvania. Ought to put 5,000 miles or so on the Toyopet this summer.

Our May newsletter, in which we mentioned our rough schedule, should be coming out soon--staff changes in the communications office probably delayed it a bit. That reminds me: I need to get working on our June one...

Enjoying being home.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

congrats dave!

glad to hear you are back. i bet it felt like you'd never left.

i'd love to get together for a drive when you get back to PA.

-dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

WELCOME BACK Dave!

Have you checked the horn contact rubbing on the ring causing the squeek? Just a small touch silicone grease should shut it up.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'll have to check that. I don't think it's serious, since it's not accompanied by any bad feelings, but I don't want to take chances with the steering.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

Hi Dave! Welcome back!

Driving an '02 is just like riding a bicycle...you never forget how to do it!

:)

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com