• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Automotive "Lifts" for '02 service

02fanatic

I am about to buy a lift after saving for "ever" :-), and I am sort of on the fence as to whether to go for a 2-Post Lift or a 4-Post style lift (w/storage for a 2nd car).

I always thought I wanted a 2-Post so getting at the underside of the cars would appear to be easier, and wheel & brake work would seem to be easier as well. '02's are light also, so I wouldn't need the heavy duty lift.

But, the 4-Post style does afford the opportunity to store a 2nd vehicle on top, seems to be much surdier, may not even require bolting to the concrete floor. But, does it provide the same "access" to the underside for maintenance and cleanup as the 2-Post?

Any suggestions as to manufacturers? I know imported stuff is much cheaper, but it may be entirely ok for my light usage.

Any experiences from those of you that have a lift would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

A friend has a two post lift in his home garage and that seems to work fine for lifting up the heaviest of cars....one being his '70s cadillac. The posts on his are on the side so you can easily put a car on the lift for storage and then drive one underneath. Believe he paid around $3000 for his.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

John, a friend of mine stores some of his vehicles on the second floor of his barn and uses the four post style to do so. Kinda drive on drive off so you have a continuous 12" channel the length of each side. Access is certainly more limited for the car you are working on. Guess you have to trade off the storage vs access issue.

what clearance do you have for ceilings john?? ive contemplated getting one too. my slab is only 4" and i wondered if that was sufficient. my 9'2" ceiling would also limit my overhead but i could use a rolling chair to do work. with a 2 lift post ive never seen any kind of drip pan to protect cars underneath like i know is offered on most 4 post set ups. obviously a 2 post is easier to do most underside work with

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

2 POST IS THE WAY TO GO,

'we' have them for our X5's and 7's , (increased capacity rating)

c.d. @ BMW of Darien

22-8591429.JPG

21-8137489.JPG

1-6775644.JPG

...just make sure it will fit yer garage !!

31-9178418.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Hey John,

I work in a shop with 02's in there on a daily basis(well at least mine anyways) 2 posts are the only way to go for easy storage! plus you get better access without driving on.

I'll post up a pic to show you later!

If more power is better then way too much is just enough.

"Why do it once when you can do it thrice!"

Thanks for the input guys....somehow it bothers me parking a 2nd car under a car on a 2-post lift :-)

The price differential is only about $200 or so....the best price I've found for a 2-Post 7,000lb cap is $1469, and about $1689 for the 4-Post. The 4-Post "Backyard Buddy" promotes USA Made, but I'm not sure if that makes all that much difference for lifting something as light as an '02...haven't priced them yet (but they must be more like $3,000).

My ceiling height is about 12 foot at the peak, then slopes to the sides, so I can fit a std 2-post in there but it will be tight. If I go with the 2-Post style, I will most likely opt for the shorter sides...has a bar across the floor, and the top is open..same lifting power.

I have the ceiling wired already for 220-240v.

By the way, there is usually about a $400 or so delivery cost on top of the prices quoted above.

The nice thing about the Backyard Buddy is the posts don't bolt to the floor...no anchor bolts.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

What...is the primary purpose?

To work on the cars or to store the cars?

For working, get a 2 post.

For storage, get a 4 post.

The funny thing about "storage" is that once you fill up the space, you will need to find more storage space. If you feel uneasy about "storing" a car up on the 2 post lift, that is a good thing as it will keep you from storing the car away and taking up that valuable space. You will be more apt to keep the projects moving.

Hemmings usually has a dozen or so ads for lifts. They also have some single post lifts, but without good anchoring, I'd be uneasy about that one.

A nieghbor down the street has a 4 post in his garage, and his project car with crap stored all over and under it has not moved in months. I still covet my neighbors lift. That's not one of the commandments, is it?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I have a 4 post for storage and am very happy with it, cost me about $1700 plus shipping and installation. It came with three drip trays. Don't make a mistake though, it has to be bolted down. I also had to change the garage door installation to get 10 foot clearance, which is really the minimum you need.

I am serioulsy considering putting up another one.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI