• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is it that technical questions sometimes go unanswered

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

yet here are some pics of my car type posts yet 15+ responses?

If I see another garage picture posting or 2002s as art I will puke.

This board is frusrating.

because no one who happens to be on the board at the time the question is posed (or before it cycles in semi-oblivion) has a solid answer based on direct experience or a verifiable manual reference. Speaking strictly for myself, I'd prefer to get no response than to get a questionable answer from someone who's only guessing at a solution to a problem they've never delt with.

As far as the photos go, it's probably a safe bet that most everybody on this board is either proud of their '02, or at least of some piece of work that they've done to it - it's pretty universal to want to share and get feedback, and most folks like to compliment others on work well done or a great find......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Guest Anonymous

If you ask a question like number 4 fuse is blown.... your likely not to get a responce cause you have to trace it. In some cases if its a K-fisher question most of us on here have no experence so we would be telling you wrong. Do you prefer wrong answers that make things worse or people going dang I dont know how to help.

Sam

when I sometimes (actually rarely) run into this problem, I repost and maybe rephrase my question. I find it important that the subject has enough info for me to dig in and open the message as I browse up and down. I also use the search when and if I don't receive any answers. There are however those instances when the people that really know are not on, and since the board moves rapidly it gets buried. Just repost with a warning that this is a repost, I am sure people will try harder...

The other thing that may help you is to type your name, as people get to know you, they will stop by as a courtesy to read your posts, they become your pals and viceversa.

FAQ Member # 91

and try and solve problems the old-fashioned way, by research and experience. The same dumb questions get asked over and over and people (a'holes like myself I guess) get bored repeating info. Once you've read your manuals, did your googling and archive-sniffing, make your post with a question and make like you did the scientific-method thing yourself first. I like photos, even many bad ones, and as far as art pics go, well, I love 'em . . .

btest3.jpg

Go over to the E46 group for a while.

Also on the Audi A4 board(when I was forced to visit, not by choice).

It seemed that 8 out of 10 posts were "How do I install clear turn signal lenses?", 1 was "How do I get out the speeding ticket I just got?", and the other was a technical question that got NO response. (guess which question was mine.)

Then, I come over to the 2002FAQ and ask the same question about an E46 or an Audi or an E30M3 and HERE I get a reponse. Hell, People can ask how to get skunk spray off of their cat and someone here will at least have an idea.

Timing is everything. The fewer people on, the less chance for response.

With the new format, you can look at the bottom of the forum page and see who is on line at the time. It all depends whos shift it was. Michael, were you or John supposed to be on during that hour?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I think you have to take the board for what it is worth. This is not a really a technical board anymore it has become more and more a social board.

Many of the more technical people don't post on the board (anymore) or simply lurk. I also think that many of us have established our own spheres (of influence) where we exchange information be it through a regional board or mailing list or personal contact.

I for one try not to post any questions relating to Alpina A4 injection as it usually illicits more questions then answers.

If you are referring to a specific question then please post again.

FYI, there is a very technical DIY list on topica but for the most part it has been very dormant for the last few years.

Guest Anonymous

Some of the reason is,the question has been hashed and rehashed over and over.Search before asking.It is not that hard.Also alot of guys that really know the answers do not post any more,myself included,do to the fact that people that have no real experience or knowledge on subject in question tend to insert nonsense answers or comments.So in a way,if the is no answer is given,it my be a blessing that some bone head is'nt messing you up.Well thats my little view and or rave.I'd be glad to help if a carpet layer,lawyer,doctor or what ever didn't have to try to change or gob up the correct answer.By the way,I'm a BMW Master tech of 18 yrs exp.And have built ,raced and restored more of these little cars than most people have ever seen.I know of 3 other Master techs that have quit helping the boards for the same reasons.It's a shame.

some other forums have?? That way the threads would be limited just to hardcore 02 technical stuff and they would not disappear off the screen so fast.

I know it is frustrating sometimes not to get an answer, even on what seems to be a simple issue. You aren't being ignored. Sometimes you can repost a few days later and rephrase the question. You need to know that this is the best damn forum around for 02s and other non 02 tech. questions.

Gil

73 02

working on 'em for 36 years! I still get stuck periodically--and when I do, I post. Rarely do my questions--no matter how esoteric--go unanswered.

And of course I'm always happy to share what I know. And I'm always learning something new--usually from this board.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wow, Mike you must be old! I just did the math with my trusty calculator and I too have been wrenching on 02s for 36 years, so I must be geezin, too. I try to help when I can but the frustrating part for me are the people that don't bother to try the good advice we offer and never post a fix. The original post just falls off. Then I have to ask myself: Did I just waste all my time helping this guy out? The other thing that is a result of a no fix post is that the archives can't help the next guy with a similar problem. So, please follow-up for the people who are actually trying to help. What happened to the guy with 3 black spark plugs?

post-258-13667560286048_thumb.jpg