• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oh what the hell, add another quarter panel

BLUNT

they started blasting my shell today and i got the call saying they found mud in the panel they thought they could save and theres a bit of rust starting. they suggest hanging a new quarter on the passenger side as well. so i need to raise another 6 bills. oh well, no sense scrimping at this point. at least theyve started on it. im going over tomorrow to take some pics

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Blunt,

You can always install replacement fender lips at the wheel wells, instead of replacing the entire panel. I had a real heart-to-heart talk with my body shop when they found excessive rust in the wheel well area..and when I went to look at it I saw how bad it was. They cut it all out, welded in new fender lips (from Mobile Tradition) and fabricated the rest. No, it's not a new qtr panel, but I challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference.

That being said, it actually may be easier replacing the whole qtr panel if yiou can find one that doesn't bankrupt you! :-)

Weigh all the options once you've looked at it closely.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Guest Anonymous

likewise, while prepping Willhelm for a paint job, I probed the rear rocker panel (no sunroof) near the jacking point - punched through rust under the protective coating. Opened up a 2 inch by one inch hole of solid rust. The cutoff wheel went through another 6 inches before I hit solid metal. Final cutout was 9 by 1&1/2 inches to patch by welding. I also blew rust converter all inside the area. As Mike Self said "Rust Never Sleeps!"

I gotta learn how to use a wire welder (Clarke 130) better.

on both quarter panels--new fender lips, new outer rockers and a patch over the rusted thru spot on the right qtr where the steadying brace goes. Lotta work, but cheaper than buying and paying the body shop to install a whole new quarter--I did the smaller job myself. Some of those repairs are nearly 15 years old and haven't (re)rusted yet!

So don't rule out a neat patch job with a minimum of filler...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite