• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

URGENT - CARBURETOR ONE LAP

Go to solution Solved by raycycl,

SOS - We're in the middle on One Lap of America at NCM right now and we're missing the top cap of a side draft, we're running DCOEs. Is anyone near Bowling Green who can help?

That’s the jet inspection cover. On the earlier DCOE it was vented, on the later ones not.

As long as your slow-running and idle jet stacks are tightened down, I think it won’t hurt performance if it’s missing, except for some possible fuel splash, but you could try to seal it up with tape/plastic/etc. to prevent dirt getting in there until you can get or fab a cover.

You can quickly fab a simple cover from a round piece of plastic with a hole in the center and a nut…

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Posted (edited)

Got a cap from a gallon jug of water, washer, o-ring and wing nut.  Thank you for the suggestions.  Also has a loose spark plug wire which was adding the the bad running.

We found a replacement part in Cincinnati that we will pick up on tonight's transit to Pittsburgh.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and support.

So far we have done about 3500 miles. We drove from Virginia to the start in South Bend and have done/will do the below legs:

May 4: South Bend, IN to Motorsports Park - Hastings, NE

May 5: High Plains - Dear Tail, CO

May 6: Hedge Hollow - Adrian, MO

May 7: National Corvette Museum - Bowling Green, KY

May 8: Pitt Race - Wampum PA

May 9: Putnam Park - Greencastle, IN

May 10: Tire Rack HQ - South Bend, IN

PXL_20240508_182738563.jpg

PXL_20240506_152921462.jpg

Edited by raycycl
  • Like 13

Go to the hardware store armed with the cap from the other carb to get the right sizes.  Find

• a "fender washer" (large OD, small center hole) that's the proper size.  
  • get either a wing nut or regular nut with the proper threads, and an appropriately sized flat and lock washer
  • get an O-ring that matches the OD of the fender washer, and a second one to go under the flat washer.

Assemble on the stud:  big o-ring; fender washer, small o-ring, small flat washer, lock washer, wing nut or nut.  Tighten appropriately.

in an emergency you can substitute cut up polyethylene lids for the two O-rings. 

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Posted (edited)

@AceAndrew

We are almost done with our transit to Pittsburgh for Pitt Race tomorrow.

We have a Facebook page for our car and the charity that we are raising awareness for as well as a live tracker on the car that is live when we are moving.

The car is running strong and cruising easily with all of the C8s and GT3s in the highspeed transits but Hal Boyles and I have been on the phone a bunch today trying to debug a few issues that we are managing:

1) Car is not idling well and we need to keep it running with the pedal - idle screws have no effect.  Coming down from speed the engine will idle nicely at about 1200 and slowly fall to about 400 and sound like a cammed American v8

2) We have a slight stumble / misfire in the 3.4-3.7k rpm range under load and then it is as smooth as glass when cruising at 4k+ in 5th (3.9 LSD... Everyone here can do the math on cruise speed)

We think that it is a vacuum leak causing the above as we did a rotor, cap, and wire change mid transit with no impact and mixtures are okay.  Curious if you have different thoughts?

Engine specs: 10:1 TII Pistons, 121 head with light work, 292 cam, Spanish 40 DCOEs, Ireland intake manifold, late e21 distributor run on a MSD box, shorty header and full exhaust.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61558476563660

Live tracker:

Edited by raycycl

7 hours ago, raycycl said:

@AceAndrew

We are almost done with our transit to Pittsburgh for Pitt Race tomorrow.

We have a Facebook page for our car and the charity that we are raising awareness for as well as a live tracker on the car that is live when we are moving.

The car is running strong and cruising easily with all of the C8s and GT3s in the highspeed transits but Hal Boyles and I have been on the phone a bunch today trying to debug a few issues that we are managing:

1) Car is not idling well and we need to keep it running with the pedal - idle screws have no effect.  Coming down from speed the engine will idle nicely at about 1200 and slowly fall to about 400 and sound like a cammed American v8

2) We have a slight stumble / misfire in the 3.4-3.7k rpm range under load and then it is as smooth as glass when cruising at 4k+ in 5th (3.9 LSD... Everyone here can do the math on cruise speed)

We think that it is a vacuum leak causing the above as we did a rotor, cap, and wire change mid transit with no impact and mixtures are okay.  Curious if you have different thoughts?

Engine specs: 10:1 TII Pistons, 121 head with light work, 292 cam, Spanish 40 DCOEs, Ireland intake manifold, late e21 distributor run on a MSD box, shorty header and full exhaust.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61558476563660

Live tracker:

Do you have a spare distributor? if so, give that a try.

Funky idle with no change when messing with the mixture screws is almost always a vacuum leak somewhere.  Check all the usual suspects including the vacuum line to the dizzy if it has vacuum advance.  

Also check the power brake booster hose--esp the little short one between the manifold and the one way valve.  It doesn't take much of a leak to upset the idle.  

You can use a can of carb cleaner or starting fluid sprayed around suspected leaks (be CAREFUL doing this) to see if that affects the idle.

And keep flying the 02 flag for the rest of us!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite