• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window winder gears skipping

I am posting again for the first time in many years.

I have neglected my 2002s to some extent but I am out again to fix all their faults.

One problem is the window regulator gears are skipping.

Is there a fix to this or is the only option to buy a new window regulator?

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

Probably you need a new one. But it's possible that the hinge bolt is loose/bent and that is allowing the gears to slip. Best is to open it up and peer inside. Take some photos too and post here.

EDIT: Disregard this advice, see @jgerock guidance below ---> Removing those things are a PITA b/c it comes out the top. Not the end of the world but you will find most everything removed from your door (glass, etc.) before it makes it's way out. Just plan accordingly!

Good to hear you are wrenching on your cars again.

Jason

Edited by JsnPpp
Wrong advice

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

8 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

Probably you need a new one. But it's possible that the hinge bolt is loose/bent and that is allowing the gears to slip. Best is to open it up and peer inside. Take some photos too and post here.

Removing those things are a PITA b/c it comes out the top. Not the end of the world but you will find most everything removed from your door (glass, etc.) before it makes it's way out. Just plan accordingly!

Good to hear you are wrenching on your cars again.

Jason

I’ve always removed the regulator from the bottom.  Won’t it get trapped by the door molding if you try from the top?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

15 minutes ago, jgerock said:

I’ve always removed the regulator from the bottom.  Won’t it get trapped by the door molding if you try from the top?

Oh boy, you are right.  It was the window tracks (vent and primary) that needed to be removed from the top, not the regulator.

My mistake, disregard my advice! (I'll cross it out).

Thank you @jgerock

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Are you sure its the regulator gears that are skipping and not just the handle?  Seems it would be easier for the splines in the handle to start stripping out than the regulator itself.  I would start there if you haven't checked that already.

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

If the problem turns out to be the regulator itself, it usually manifests as either the rivets in the pantograph arms failing, or the pin in the center of the concentric spring failing.  Both can be replaced--the former with a M-B part and the latter with a little work on your part.  

I did a column on repairing regulators; PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When you get into the doors be sure to clean and lube the window track guides and etc. 

A well cleaned and lubed window should go up and down with almost no effort.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Is there a diagram that shows how it comes out from the bottom? It seems to big to fit through the holes in the door.

I noticed some surface rust, I will have to treat that and lube up everything while I am in there.

• Like 1

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...