• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window regulator spring replacement?

I broke my window regulator spring when reassembling the regulator. 

Does anyone know if this thunderbird spring will fit, it looks exactly like the BMW one. 

WWW.LARRYSTBIRD.COM

Ford Thunderbird1955, 1956, 1957Power Windows

Thank you!

Name: Mario M.

Car: 1976 BMW 2002

This is one of the original window regulators from my 69 VW Squareback. Note how simple it is compared to the BMW one.  After removing it from the car, I simply cleaned it and applied some grease.  Look at the spring design.

IMG_0661.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

And if the pot metal pin that holds the center of the spring in place is broken or hopelessly worn, PM me for a copy of the column I did on repairing those regulators...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 4/14/2024 at 8:55 PM, bergie33 said:

That's right. @POKTROKT, time for you to take one for the team. 

I know I know, I'm in Canada so shipping and duties will easily more than quadruple that price then will have to exchange to our monopoly money.  I may just do it however, was hoping someone else had done it already.

Name: Mario M.

Car: 1976 BMW 2002

Mario, a whole bunch of US cars (GM, Ford and Chrysler) from the 50s and 60s with manual windows used those concentric springs in their window regulators, and most models were either exported to Canada or built there.  You need to find an old line auto body shop, take your old spring there and ask around if anyone knows one that's close in size.  Some old-timer is bound to recognize an interchange for you.

And if you have any long-time junkyards, I'll bet someone there can help you find a spring that'll work.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite