• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BBS Mahle Lugnut Seat Issue

I picked up a used set of 13" Mahles, and it looks like the lugnut seat is ball seat, but i'm not 100% sure. Looks like maybe it's been worn over the years, it's almost got two steps on the inside edge.

I have a set of ball seat lugs that fit fine, but also a set of 60deg tapered ones that seem to fit fine too. The tapered ones have a sharper end that sort of goes into the hole to further grab the stud, but not sure if you guys have any advice or experience with these? 

image.thumb.jpeg.e4070c9c67d2eabd00a7831632e24e85.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dfa8eb3860d4e3b80c77366024015cf8.jpeg

• Like 1

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

Step might be due wheel having steel mating faces for lug nuts. Either way there should not be any paint on the mating surfaces. Tightening torque will be wrong & wheels could come loose. Same goes for wheel to hub surface - no powder coating!

Last pic hole looks different... steel bit missing?

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

5 minutes ago, visionaut said:

FWIW, I’ve never heard of Mahles with a ball seat…

I suspect they’re very-worn conical seats. (wear from loose nuts, wear from wrong nuts).

That's interesting! A post on the E9 Coupe forum says the opposite lmao. Ugh i'll try wire wheeling that paint off, maybe get a better look at the mating surface.

Thanks guys.

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

It was my post on e9coupe that started this discussion.  My tire guy noticed the difference when I bought new tires for my 7x14 BBS Mahle BMW wheels on my e12 and told me I needed the Mercedes style ball seat.  I bought a set from Mesa Performance and all was good.  I am not saying all BBS wheels use that seat but it was obvious on my wheels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix