• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing nose panel 1976 ‘02

So I found a ‘new’ (replica) nose panel to replace my busted nose. It does not have the big square cutouts for the (US?) bumper. Can I just ‘delete’ these brackets or is there anything I should be aware of before cutting them out? Not looking to a bumper back, I dont have one anyway…

IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

IMG_2129.jpeg

1976 2002 - 4spd man

1976 2002 no engine, in pieces

1974 2002 in pieces

Glad my wife puts up with my crap

Those bumper reinforcements on your '76 were for US cars only, to support the 5 mph bumpers that were mandated by Federal safety laws.  I don't recall 'em protruding from the nose panel, but if they do on your replacement Euro panel, you won't structurally affect the car by cutting them back to accommodate the new nose.  You just won't be able to remount the OEM 5 mph bumpers, which you don't want anyway...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

+1- they were purely an add- on.  Me, I'd remove every

vestige of them, so if you add an earlier bumper later (heh)

it'll be bolt- on.  

You'll need a roundie battery tray if you plan to leave the battery in front.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It's way easier to cut them out with the nose  off so now's the time to make sparks😎.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Make sure you drill out those 2 welded up holes on the lower frame rail they are to mount the bumper brackets on 73 and below bumpers. When they put those two boat anchors on top they welded up the holes for the previous bumpers.

• Like 1