• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Box Fan/Motor Replacement

In 2021 when I was living in MD, my 02 heater fan stopped working.  I took the top half of the heater box with the fan in it to P&H auto electric shop in Baltimore. They put new bushings in the fan, balanced the blades and it works great,  extremely quiet,  all for $50. They are an old school auto electric shop which is hard to find these days. Something to think about if you find a correct fan for an 02 that's not working. 

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

5 hours ago, zambo said:

Guys - the motor in that single wheel, centrifugal version in the OP’s initial post looks uncannily like my E3 set up. I can’t locate this image/part on the Uro site so cannot confirm. 

The Porsche/Bosch motor - that isn’t in stock at the usual suspects these last couple of years - which is the replacement for our 02 motors is also the replacement for the E3 centrifugal fan. In the E3 it’s a 5 minute job to clip it in which I did a couple of years back. 

So be interesting to get a closer look at that motor in the URO part. 

Edit: Found it on the Uro site - looks eerily similar to what I describe above.  But out of stock also. I wonder if Uro confirmed the order for the OP …?

link?

On 2/29/2024 at 8:59 AM, Mike Nance said:

@bergie33 PartsGeek is selling the same motor/fan that I purchased. 

WWW.PARTSGEEK.COM

@mikeself I'll be PM'ing you. I have the heaterbox ready to disassemble looks relatively easy, just teadious. 

I think I called them and they couldn't provide a real pic, nor could I find a real pic of that part number online. I bought the bosch 130007027  but its too small in diameter (the clips to hold the fan are not even close). we may have to get the $200 porsh one, the kit (I texted them to see if their kit would work on the bosch 7027) or $50 bucks for refurb to Baltimore sounds good.

FOOTHILLSFAB.COM

When rebuilding the Heater box in an early 2002 using the Bosch/Porsche heater fan 0130007081 you will find the motor too small and the original fan almost always breaks while removal is attempted off the original motor. This kit includes a new Press-Fit high efficiency fan and a...

IMG_0743.JPG

Edited by NMDerek
add text

12 hours ago, James Laray said:

Just did this, the pic you shared is not it.    

Here are the three things I purchased to create the set up. 

Fan blower motor Porsche Fan, Bosch, part # 0 130 007 002 from "510" website/distributor  ($200 is the best price I could find, other sites listed them for $400 if they were even in stock - a few years ago they were only $70)   

Granger plastic computer fan, part # 5JLL6  - see Mark92131 in Heater Box Restoration May 29, 2022 (FAQ blog)

PRDesignSF has Metal Fan Blade Retrofit Adapter with directions on FAQ (2/2019).  Cut a notch in shaft for set screw and use medium thread lock. 

IMG_1401 (1).jpg

hmm same part number but mine had no shroud?

‘02 blower motor is NLA, use the Uro cage fan assembly, the motor is the same as the ‘02. removed the cage fan blade. Buy adapter metal fan blade from PRDesignsf, or the modified plastic fan blade. Reinstall the new motor with the new clips from the Uro 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, James Laray said:

Fan blower motor Porsche Fan, Bosch, part # 0 130 007 002 from "510" website/distributor  ($200 is the best price I could find, other sites listed them for $400 if they were even in stock - a few years ago they were only $70)   

Granger plastic computer fan, part # 5JLL6  - see Mark92131 in Heater Box Restoration May 29, 2022 (FAQ blog)

PRDesignSF has Metal Fan Blade Retrofit Adapter with directions on FAQ (2/2019).  Cut a notch in shaft for set screw and use medium thread lock. 

IMG_1401 (1).jpg

I bit the bullet an ordred this one from "510" 

I'm here to remind all you guys that if your heater box/core is in good condition (aka not leaking and making good hot air) but you just have a dead fan, there's an easy solution that's only $50 and does NOT involve removing the whole heater box!

• Like 3

@AustrianVespaGuy thanks for bringing that back to life.  I couldn't recall the solution, but I remembered there is a better one than fussing with replacing a motor made of unobtanium.

As a follow up, did the 260 cfm fan deliver good air flow?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Well same as the Porsche suggestion with a shroud , but no reply yet. still no email from Haasclassics.com, maybe they out of business

Edited by NMDerek
update

2 hours ago, jimk said:

As a follow up, did the 260 cfm fan deliver good air flow?

Yes, that Spal motorcycle fan delivers just as much and maybe a tad more airflow than any stock blower (based on how well I remember them, been a while since I had a stock one!). Regardless, it's just great for both cabin heat and windshield defrosting!

4 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I'm here to remind all you guys that if your heater box/core is in good condition (aka not leaking and making good hot air) but you just have a dead fan, there's an easy solution that's only $50 and does NOT involve removing the whole heater box!

The link is old but the specs are there. I might try it on the 3 rd box

On 3/1/2024 at 1:19 PM, James Laray said:

IMG_1401 (1).jpg

Thanks, that was satisfying.IMG_0769.JPG.7ab0082fbd0c24dd71e60ab6c7ca7b7a.JPGIMG_0768.JPG.7dfd212d5520b60355890a7ee3901c79.JPG

and a link to the fan adapter screw. https://prdesignsf.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F02-heater-box-metal-fan-blade-retrofit

i have the summit racing fan showing up soon , so I will update, Did anyone get the Partsgeek part yet to confirm it has the shroud? 

Edited by NMDerek
edit text
  • Like 1