• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981ti running issue

Rich S

New to the forum, but have been referencing quite frequently to troubleshoot issues. I am an enthusiast, but by no means expert in the 02 real. My son has bought a 1971 02’ too. We have gone through the top end and it is solid now (new head gasket, checked valves, etc…). The issue is when we start ot it is good for about 3 seconds and shuts off. I unplugged a wire from what appears to be a ballast relay and the car runs without issue. What could be the issue with this? Photos are attached. Thank you in advance. 

-Rich

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5890.jpeg

Some clarification is required before we can offer any assistance.

Is the car a 1971 or 1981 (topic title)?

You’ve posted this in the “ti” specific forum which discusses factory equipped dual Solex carburetor 02’s.  What type of induction does this car have?

The square relay in your picture is for the starting circuit.

Your car is equipped with a ballast resistor paired with a “blue” colored ignition coil. Please look at the bottom of the coil and report back with the number designation on the bottom (typically starts with a “K”).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It’s a 71’. Somehow fat fingered it. It’s a Ti that they converted to single carb. Numbers and badging match up for Ti. Why is it starting and running with what I unplugged. Electronic ignition.

kinda hard to say, really.

It's pretty obvious that the wires have had some loving attention

since the car left Germany,

so it's going to be a bit hard to diagnose over the internet.

As STOCK, unhooking that wire should make the car start, but die as soon as you release the 

key to the run position.  

Under your hood, I'd find the wiring diagram that most closely matches what you should have,

trace out what you DO have, and then meter to see what it's actually doing.

Finding out what that relay's wired to do is probably a good idea-

what it's SUPPOSED to do is bypass that ballast resistor while the car is cranking.

Depending on what year wiring harness the car has.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I'm betting the coil LT isn't hot when you let off the key. Which could be a bad ballast resistor, or other issues in that circuit.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

14 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

blue coil belongs in the neighbors pool.

hee.

t

Flamethrowing Hot Spark123 Accel Blaster or go home.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

20 hours ago, Rich S said:

It’s a 71’. Somehow fat fingered it. It’s a Ti that they converted to single carb. Numbers and badging match up for Ti. Why is it starting and running with what I unplugged. Electronic ignition.

You can go back & edit your title to include the proper info.  Thanks!

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif