• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument Cluster internal schematics

Hi,

Apologies if this is common knowledge but I thought I'd share (I find the wiring diagram view of the cluster non-intuitive). The pin numbers refer to the round connector, numbered per the wiring diagram. That separate tab on the cluster for the handbrake is shown without a number. Please let me know if you see an error.

Thanks!

image.png.3f13945829d29476b2f41e4847cc1ddf.png

Edited by Healey3000
Label fixed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Item labeled "Ignition", pins 1 and 12 is the alternator charge light.  Pin 12 harness side it the blue wire that terminates at the voltage regulator by way of the diagnostic port.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

That separate tab on the cluster for the handbrake is shown without a number.

Which tab are you referring to?  

Is it the one at the bottom of the cluster (yellow circle in my picture)? 

Is "5x Illumination" (pin #4) another name for the dimmer function for the dash lights?

ExtraTabonDashBack.thumb.JPG.fa0b43e72342417e766b12efb9372e4e.JPG

3 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

Thanks Jim, you are correct. By "ignition" I meant "ignition warning".

Suggest "Charging Light" or what the Owners Manual calls it.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 hours ago, jimk said:

Suggest "Charging Light" or what the Owners Manual calls it.

Schematic has been updated. I opted to use the term in the wiring diagram, as that should be the appropriate reference for things electrical 🙂

Couple of small points from "Healey 3000"'s nice diagram:  early cars have a separate wire that runs to the tach, as the tach was an option on 02s other than those imported by Hoffman for the US--it was one of his "non optional options"

Also, roundies don't have the parking brake warning light or its wiring--only squarelights.

And...in John's photo of the cluster's back side, the three brass male terminals that are directly above the terminal circle where the wiring harness plugs in--if the car was equipped with a clock (e.g. an automatic) that's where the clock's wiring harness plugs in.  On tach equipped cars, those terminals are covered by a little rubber plug, which also fits the three tach terminals if the car has a clock.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Couple of small points from "Healey 3000"'s nice diagram:  early cars have a separate wire that runs to the tach, as the tach was an option on 02s other than those imported by Hoffman for the US--it was one of his "non optional options"

Also, roundies don't have the parking brake warning light or its wiring--only squarelights.

And...in John's photo of the cluster's back side, the three brass male terminals that are directly above the terminal circle where the wiring harness plugs in--if the car was equipped with a clock (e.g. an automatic) that's where the clock's wiring harness plugs in.  On tach equipped cars, those terminals are covered by a little rubber plug, which also fits the three tach terminals if the car has a clock.

mike

Nice addendum Mike to the contributions of the posters. 

In your second para, you mention the parking brake warning light. It might be a Euro model thing but my Nov ‘72 build RHD has the wiring to the warning light. 

20 hours ago, zambo said:

It might be a Euro model thing but my Nov ‘72 build RHD has the wiring to the warning light. 

It was...US spec cars didn't get that little feature until the squarelights arrived with the 1974 model year.  And we (US) never did get the low fuel warning light that was prevalent on Euro/rest of the world cars...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

And we (US) never did get the low fuel warning light that was prevalent on Euro/rest of the world cars...

Even though the low-fuel warning light was featured in the USA brochures and window stickers.

Later USA models changed from the plain red dash light to a red light with "BRAKE" to indicate parking brake, fluid level, and twin-circuit brake pressure differential issues. Later cars did not have the 3-terminal fuel sender, but if you have one and want a low-fuel warning, it's easy to do.

BMWwindowstickerfuellight.thumb.jpg.e2c3e8a29f97a1183ef2f53bef02cac8.jpg