• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key in door, stuck

Hi all! 
My 1976 2002 has its key stuck partially rotated in the door. The door won’t shut because the mechanism is also stuck. I think I can trouble shoot it but I need step by step instructions for how to get the(new) door panel off. I can’t seem to find one that isn’t vague. Including my manual. 
help 

They can be difficult, start here:

WWW.WORLDUPH.COM

Installation instructions for 1974-1976 BMW 2002 Door Panels provided by World Upholstery and Trim.

The retention screw for the vent window knob is under the black center panel

Armrest  has 3 screws you have to remove.

The panel itself is held on with little plastic push on clips that are removed with a flat pry tool preferably plastic, slide the tool between panel and door, locate next to a clip (you can feel where they are) and pry/pop the clipsout of the door.

The upper section also has clips holding panel on, they can be a pain 

Is your manual a Haynes Repair Manual??

If you are serious about owning an 02 its time to get one😉

Doesn't seem that vague to me

IMG_5540.JPG

IMG_5541.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5543.JPG

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 4

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

There are clips along the sides and bottom of the panel, after removing the arm rest and handles work a stiff putty knife or similar tool under the bottom edge and gently pry  the clips free after that you can slid your hand under and free the other clips then knock the panel up from the bottom to release the top of the panel. It's easier than it sounds. by the way the vent window cover is released by pushing a allen key into the hole on the back side to push the cover out.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Don't try to remove the vent window knob from the front use a allen key inserted through the hole pictured below.

image.thumb.png.70eff75366961a2ebeaa9b469438c0c3.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Just for the ducks of it, before you remove the door panel to access the lock mechanism, remove the two allen head screws that hold the rubber/metal wedge-shaped guide that's just above the rotary latch on the door's edge.  You can remove the guide, but it's not really necessary.  Then spray a nice blast of WD40 through the holes where the screws were.  That just might loosen up whatever's stuck in there enough so you can extract the key.  It might also help to spray some WD40 into the keyhole itself, in case there are some stuck tumbler wafers inside the lock cylinder.  It may not work, but it's worth a try...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Also, at step 8 in @tech71 's post, grab a 2 x 4 roughly the length of the door card and place it at the bottom of the card. Smack upwards with mallet to push the door card up and off. 

Prior to reinstall,  open the pinch clips at the top of the card that grab the top of the door sheet metal.  They are way too tight.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.