• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking water divider from the stud?

Reza Taheri

Check the large washer that spans the gap between the intake manifold and the water divider.  if the manifold is thicker than the divider you might be only clamping the manifold.  The only other possibility is corrosion or damage to the surface of the head around the water outlet.   

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

He is and the intake manifold does appear to be thicker/taller than the flange on the divider.  

If I had that problem, I'd be tempted to make a custom 'washer' that has a step on the back side to make up for that difference.

It also looks like the front hose closest to the camera is 'pooched up' behind the clamp's screw mechanism and it's blowing coolant/bubbles.  The screw mechanism has an arc built into the back, which is supposed to match the diameter of what it is clamping.  Large hose clamps have a larger diameter on the back of the mechanism, so they will not mate up well with smaller hoses/flanges.  Based on the amount of extra clamp band sticking out, that may be your problem.  I would replace both of those clamps with smaller ones that are close to the OD of the hose while in their largest position.

You are also missing the two nylon stepped 'washers' that go under the nuts that secure the fuel pump.  The holes through the pump are sloppy around the studs without those little plastic isolators. It has nothing to do with your leaking coolant, but is worth addressing.  You can pull the part numbers off of the RealOEM site.

• Like 3

Agree with the above the gasket doesn't look smooshed enough to be tight, you need to step the washer under the brass nut so it contacts both sides evenly, or you could fly cut a relief into the water elbow to the same effect.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

13 minutes ago, Reza Taheri said:

Would a split lock washer work? 

No. you need to take a thick washer and grind down 1/2 of the back side of it so the washer hits both the divider and intake side flat and it'll provide equal clamping.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I had an aftermarket manifold for the ITBs on the M10 that had the problem and i took a flat file and made both sides equal in thickness.  Down the road there is no fiddling with special washers, etc.  Fix it and be done with it.

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.