• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fog light, driving light harness

zinz

I thought I’d pass on a quality piece of gear for those looking to add fog/driving lights. Most folks get scared of the wiring portion of this job. I bought a complete harness off Amazon and it worked beautifully.

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-LED-Light-Wiring-Harness/dp/B0948YVR9C?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

The kit comes completely assembled with relay, fused power lead, switch, extra terminals and fuses. The harness is covered in a tough outer sheath and the terminals are covered, too. All for $19. Helluva deal…

0BE3487E-32DC-45EE-8AED-20EEB0F8361C.thumb.jpeg.15203d17999ba77e0834735371d6de23.jpegB84183CD-60AB-47B6-B7BB-B0DEC87F05CD.thumb.jpeg.f3d91c6a1fee5a4c1c2a64c4d7228aca.jpeg7E2D921E-A523-4823-91D0-1EB0A1745831.thumb.jpeg.766442ee9a0e2e3ef5fe210793b009c8.jpeg

Unfortunately, one of my vintage Notek lights has a bulb that’s kaput… and they are obsolete. I’ll try to rig up an H3 lamp in its place…

Oh, I forgot to add…those are Pierre’s fog light brackets. Very nice stuff. 

WWW.PROBIMMER.COM

Ed Z

Edited by zinz
  • Like 9

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Ed--take a picture of you kaput Notek bulb.  I have a bunch of strange old tungsten (non haloge or LED) bulbs from a defunct Renault/Peugeot dealership and may have something that'll work for you.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

take a picture of you kaput Notek bulb. 

Here ya go, Mike. It’s marked Mazda 12v 55w and Made in England. 

7023A089-110E-42E2-B44C-00A31EBCA6FA.thumb.jpeg.9cd1d251e00ae982976e98e835546e36.jpeg

F82A9E5B-E733-4D03-BEB2-ACEC73E6BDD0.thumb.jpeg.ddff04a8177edd8f7fbacf78b12829af.jpeg

DC16E598-8E4A-4F26-BF2B-8FD960FFA6FF.thumb.jpeg.999dc21a91da30272529de1ad4073ce1.jpeg

It’s an overly complicated bulb and retaining system…

Ed

Gotta admit, that's a new one on me...All the short halogen bulbs I've seen have a short + side lead with a female terminal on the end, and ground via the base like most bulbs.   

The NOTEK bulbs I remember are tungsten and look like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I looked on the usual Internet sources but didn't see the halogen ones, only like the above picture. 

Didja try Mike's shop in England?  IIRC "Notek" is a British brand...(or at least was); you might also search some of the Brit companies that specialize in vintage auto accessories, as these Notek lamps date back to the 1930s...

That's all I've got.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, Mike Self said:

That's all I've got.

Thanks a bunch for looking, Mike. 

I just now successfully fit an H3 lamp in place. Comparing the two lamps, the bulb looks almost exactly the same. In the bright sunshine I can’t tell a difference between the original lamp and the new H3 (on the left) perhaps I’ll be able to tell after the sun sets 

789D6517-11CB-467C-A42E-4C31C3D610C0.thumb.jpeg.a659d8bd370318278590c72f648fc3d2.jpeg

Ed Z

• Like 4

@zinz, I didn't realize you were building a love car. Good for you! 

image.thumb.png.e43dfa4bc85ff5b7ee55236596ef5fb4.png

Jokes aside, thanks for the link. It looks like it might even be compatible with an e21 fog light switch since it's 3 wires going to the switch. I'll need to stare at the wiring diagram a bit more. @John76, what say you?

Edited by popovm

3 hours ago, popovm said:

It looks like it might even be compatible with an e21 fog light switch since it's 3 wires going to the switch

I have the green, illuminated e21 fog light switch. The spade terminals on the Amazon harness are too small for the BMW switch. I’ll crimp some larger ones on that harness.

Not sure what’s up, but I popped the blade fuse tonight while I was driving around with the new fog lights on. I’ll look into it tomorrow… perhaps my janky H3 connection shorted..

3 hours ago, popovm said:

@John76, what say you?

Probably identical to the illuminated green fog light switch that I use.

However,...to be technically correct, fog light buttons should be green, driving light buttons should be blue.

Wouldn't be annoying to have a red button illuminated when your driving lights are "on"??

BMWDrivingLights.thumb.jpg.02637fcde7b989995b63f399cba53b41.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Henning said:

Sure the kidney is not installed upside down here...?

You win the daily prize. I’ve been wondering how long it would take for someone to notice 

This kidney grill had its mounting posts broken off and I had to make it fit any way I could. I have a new one from W&N but still need the clamping pieces. 

Ed Z

23 hours ago, zinz said:

I have the green, illuminated e21 fog light switch. The spade terminals on the Amazon harness are too small for the BMW switch. I’ll crimp some larger ones on that harness.

Not sure what’s up, but I popped the blade fuse tonight while I was driving around with the new fog lights on. I’ll look into it tomorrow… perhaps my janky H3 connection shorted..

Cool, sounds like you already had it in the works. Good to know new spade terminals would be needed if using this harness. Good luck with the troubleshooting. I’d be interested to hear the cause, especially if it ends up being this harness. 

23 hours ago, John76 said:

Probably identical to the illuminated green fog light switch that I use.

However,...to be technically correct, fog light buttons should be green, driving light buttons should be blue.

Wouldn't be annoying to have a red button illuminated when your driving lights are "on"??

BMWDrivingLights.thumb.jpg.02637fcde7b989995b63f399cba53b41.jpg

New diagram! I had saved a link to a previous driving light diagram you had posted. I’ll be saving a link to this one too. This was the previous one I had: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/260709-fog-light-button-wiring/?do=findComment&comment=1407248

As always, thanks for your diagrams, Jon. Super helpful. 

14 hours ago, popovm said:

New diagram! I had saved a link to a previous driving light diagram

The previous diagram is for FOG lights that use the #9 fuse as the relay trigger. Use a green lighted switch for fogs.

The above diagram is for DRIVING lights that use the high beam tap (connector) located by the left headlight above the battery as the relay trigger. Use a blue lighted switch for driving lights.

John

HighBeamTap1.thumb.png.fe8e989520f3334da1b60d0d44cd8500.png