• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding car to 02 Registry

Tomme2002Tone
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

• Solution

Tom,

Assuming you’re already logged into the FAQ, try:

1. Browse

2. Registry

3. Add New Vehicle

And have your VIN handy. You can come back later and add or fix anything, except for the VIN.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Welcome, Tom...be sure and post pictures and your 68's VIN.  There were only about 2700 US spec 2002s built for the '68 model year, so it's by far the lowest production year for US cars... Yours looks like Granada red...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, Tomme2002Tone said:

just need to determine production date now. 

Post the VIN and we can give you a pretty close date, or you can e-mail BMW Classic and they'll tell you the exact date...keep in mind that BMW went by calendar year. 

For example, if it was built between 1 January and 31 December, say 1972, the factory considers it a 1972 car.  However, here in the States we go by model year (usually starts around 1 September).  Thus BMW considers a car built in December 1972 as a "1972" car, but in the States it would be titled as a '73.  And in fact that car would have all the model year changes of a '73. 

So if your car's VIN is below 1662758 it's a model year '68; above that number it's a model year '69.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Tom,

Excellent! Very early ‘02. 👍

Send an email with your car’s VIN (and your engine number if it no longer matches the VIN) to BMW Group Archives requesting their data on the car (and engine block if not original):

hdz.info@bmwgroup.com

They’ll give you the manufacturing date, the date the car was legally delivered to Hoffman Motors (this was before the car shipped to the U.S.), and the factory exterior color (as Mike said, likely Granada).

I’d guess that VIN 1660782 is probably an April 1968 car.

Congrats on having a very early example!

Regards,

Steve

Below is an ‘02 factory brochure dated April 1968.

Not that you asked my opinion, but I am happy to provide it! 😋

I looked at your Registry entry and saw that it was headlined by a photo of your old love! Allow me to say:

1968 model year ‘02’s are few and far between. Especially because of that, an original color re-paint is perhaps more important than on, say, a 1974. OK. I suspect you are trying to recreate your beloved tii, entirely understandable (I have an Inka ‘73 tii, currently wearing a $100 Malaga paint job from the 1980’s; it will shortly return to Inka)!

But a ‘68 is a pre-Modell 71 car whereas all round taillight tii’s are Modell 71 cars — knee mouldings, long-tail rear bumpers, bumper rub strips, long consoles, 12-fuse fuseholders, etc. It’s a different look, and many of the colors had changed between 1968 and 1971. Inka first appeared in the June 1971 paint brochure: it arrived with the April 1971 changeover to Modell 71.

So if you can’t fathom re-painting in the original Granada, have you considered, at least, re-painting in a more “1968” color? In deference to your Inka tii, what about Colorado, introduced in 1968 — yes, it was a 2002ti-only color initially? It pays respect, however, both to your Inka past and your ‘68’s early origins… 🎉

There, I feel much better having gotten this off my chest! 🙌😉

Whatever you choose, we’ll still love you, mostly! 😋

Regards,

Steve

IMG_9983.jpeg

IMG_9984.jpeg

IMG_9985.jpeg

IMG_9986.jpeg

I love this forum! Thank you so much for the insight - I have debated color and if not so rough in areas I’d keep the patina. My tii was Granada but I’ve just always loved inka-took a vote among peers and inka was #1 Colorado #2. I know it’s better to go original for resale so I’ll just have to make the call when ready. Again appreciate you and this forum. Onward!  😊

Edited by Tomme2002Tone

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

So if you can’t fathom re-painting in the original Granada

I don't have a problem with Granada.  Hood and grill area have been repainted.

image.thumb.jpeg.8396bae3b149601d8d3e4cce63f5c4f7.jpegDurango-Silverton2022.thumb.jpg.c0e29c92695bb02f55c7ccbdb8321698.jpg

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Just heard back from BMW:

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 US-Version, VIN 1660782, was manufactured on 17.04.1968 and delivered on 19.04.1968 to the BMW dealer Schorsch Meier in Munich, Germany. The original colour was “Granatrot-Metallic”, paint code 025.

Great to know-however upon further research I do not see this color/code referenced in 1968 color codes/brochure. 

Any ideas on this - did they do limited paint runs? 

Thanks as always. 

Edited by Tomme2002Tone
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tomme2002Tone said:

Any ideas on this - did they do limited paint runs?

Maybe German delivery had paint to order custom options?  Granatrot-Metallic was offered on late 2002 and 320i models, but not on the list of colors available to Hoffman cars for 1968, per @Conserv.

Granatrot is a very cool color!

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Yes - that’s what is throwing me. Doubt bmw would provide incorrect paint color but I do not see any roundies or pre ‘74s  with this color? 

however - I do see this was a German delivery and wondered if the paint may have been custom ordered?  And how cool if this was the original Granatrot-Metallic car and they introduced it later for ‘74 models? 

Hey a guy can dream!😊

Edited by Tomme2002Tone