• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dellorto carb housing stripped?

ketchup
Go to solution Solved by Hans,

Behold my calamities! 

I'm trying to determine the thread pitch and diameter of the accelerator pump jet cover of a pre-emissions Dellorto dhla 40 side draft. 

I recently rebuilt a matching set. They are pretty fab except these housing threads are stripped and the brass cover won't grab.

Obviously I don't want to trash the whole thing, so wondering about helicoil/timesert – not sure if there's enough meat to work with – which is why timesert would be better. But I can't figure out the threads?

If I can't fix it, I'll be going to a lynx manifold to make use of the other side draft. (LMK if you have one if dem:)

IMG_0121.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

Gerf.  That's a jet holder, huh? How does it seal?  as in, what does the jet it holds look like?

Fixing aluminum isn't easy.  A helicoil might do it... but you'd have to be precise.

To get the thread pitch, just use a thread pitch gauge!  

(or some bolts you know the thread pitch of)

It could be whacka- doodle- doo, as things made of brass can be made easily in 

all sorts of thread pitch and size combinations.

heresy- glue it on with something like Loctite sleeve retainer.

When you need to get it undone, just heat it to 500f and it'll pop right off.

t

hates that sort of thing, too.

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

22 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Gerf.  That's a jet holder, huh? How does it seal?  as in, what does the jet it holds look like?

Fixing aluminum isn't easy.  A helicoil might do it... but you'd have to be precise.

To get the thread pitch, just use a thread pitch gauge!  

(or some bolts you know the thread pitch of)

It could be whacka- doodle- doo, as things made of brass can be made easily in 

all sorts of thread pitch and size combinations.

heresy- glue it on with something like Loctite sleeve retainer.

When you need to get it undone, just heat it to 500f and it'll pop right off.

t

hates that sort of thing, too.

Thanks! I'm leaning on first bringing it to a machinist and hoping they are in a good mood and not offended by my "foreign" non-GM car parts. If they laugh me out, I may research this intriguing "Loctite sleeve retainer" you speak of. But I DO think there is a chance the existing threads can be chased out...

Kinda thinking along Toby's line you might consider sticking a ball of blue tape down the hole then taking some paraffin wax and coat the threads completely and coating the hole with jb weld and after everything has set up you can screw the jet holder out remove the tape and thread the holder into place.

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Just now, Son of Marty said:

Kinda thinking along Toby's line you might consider sticking a ball of blue tape down the hole then taking some paraffin wax and coat the threads completely and coating the hole with jb weld and afer everything has set up you can screw the jet holder out remove the tape and thread the holder into place.

Yeah – I read a similar approach on a motorbike forum. The wax acts a releasing agent and then you just hope the whole thing holds up for awhile in the presence of gasoline 👍 nonetheless, it's good to have a serious of options, each reflecting an escalating level of desperation!

Looks like M10x1.5 or so, but this can be measured. The DHLA accelerator pump jet holder uses a fiber washer, so it doesn't need a lot of torque to provide sealing. You could try to carefully run a tap through the bore and see if that works, but of course taps work by removing material, so that could make it worse.

There is not enough material to install a Time-sert, and probably not enough for a heli-coil. 

I think the other suggestions here are as good as it might get, try to make the threads a bit better, and use epoxy to keep the thing in place. Paint a witness mark to tell if it is backing out.

Our '74 Jensen-Healey roadster has a Lotus 907 engine with Dellorto DHLA 45s. One of the idle mixture adjustment screws was seized, but I was able to drill it out dead-center, and had to buy a special fine-thread tap (M7x0.5 I think) and was able to save it. I hope you have the same luck!

If you need Dellorto parts, CB Performance in central CA still has a decent amount, but Eurocarb in the UK has everything.

WWW.CBPERFORMANCE.COM

CB Performance offers a wide selection of hard to find Dellorto Carb Replacement parts. Use our handy Parts Locator diagrams to find the right parts for your Dellorto Carburetor.

WWW.DELLORTO.CO.UK

Edited by cda951
  • Like 1

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

Just wanted to provide an update/resolution: chasing out the threads seems to have worked. I think there is still damage there, as the jet cover required much persuasion to screw down, but it held, and it's not something that needs to be removed very often. Thanks to everyone for your contributions, as always 👍

• Like 1

Good to hear!  

When threads like that bind, use lube.  

It mostly washes out, but any little bit left

in there will help prevent galling when you

next remove it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL