• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo charger needed

Hi!

Long-time BMW owner, new member, Vin# 4290164

I'm having my cars' engine overhauled at Korman, and the Garrett needs to go for proper operation and fitment, and to keep it stock as possible.

Any info or assistance with locating a turbo would be most appreciated.  I know they are next to impossible but have to try.

Thanks!  Jay

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are there some general rules to look for a turbo that improves driveabiliy ?

looking for only 8 lbs of boost

installing a T3 type that claims to start working at as low as 3,000 rpm 

Doesn’t have to be stock as mine is not an original car

Here’s the current setup

IMG_4538.jpeg

IMG_4539.jpeg

You’re asking us about drivability? The beauty, well one of the beauties of the old BMW turbo was its oddity. It drive like few other cars. So you adapted your driving style to it.  Timing your on boost acceleration for the point in the curve it would do the most good and the least damage. This puzzle is fun. Not sure that’s what you're thinking about when you're asking about drivability. 

Thinking about reducing turbo lag

I seen dyno sheets that show the majority of power coming in between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm and would like it to start earlier, like 3,000 maybe 3,500

my car will have 8.3 compression so it should make a little more power in the low to mid rpm’s 

I have to admit not being very knowledgeable about turbos so wondering if there are basic things to look for to get a turbo that spools up fast and starts pumping earlier

Like. does size matter? Fan designs ? Fan material? type of turbo? That kind of thing

The Turbo technology has changed dramatically since the early 70's when BMW built the 2002 Turbo.  There were no "wase gates" they used blow off valves.  They didn't use intercoolers.  There were no water cooled housings etc.  They were horribly inefficient by today's standards.  The problem back then was they needed a turbo that could move the amount of air needed to produce the HP they wanted to make (this is a volume problem not a pressure problem).  This also needed to happen at an impellor speed that could be maintained without damage. (usually somewhere around 100-125K rpm) .  The problem with blow off vavles when used to control boost pressure is they dump excess air out of the system and the turbos would over rev and destroy themselves. So to try and keep them alive they went to a larger turbo and that caused a dramatic increase in lag.  Modern waste gates control boost by limiting impellor speed so they can get away with a much smaller turbo and get the response back.  Higher boost pressures (remember the original 2002 Turbo only ran 0.5bar/7.2psi) also come with higher inlet air temperatures and a much higher risk of detonation, so intercooling is a much more important parts of a modern high pressure (1.0bar+) turbo system. 

The way to get the best "response" from a turbocharger is figure out how much POWER you want to make and then find the smallest turbo that will support that power level ,  Keep the intake track (all of the plumbing, intercooler etc) as short and low volume as possible without restricting the air flow.  Modern waste gates, boost controllers and blow off valves with also help a lot.      

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC