• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our new addition....

FunElan

14 minutes ago, jimk said:

If you add the terminal numbers cast in the bendix to the drawing and compare them to the numbers on the wiring diagram, then wire accordingly, it will be correct.

And then check to see if the ignition switch is defective 😎

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

8 hours ago, jimk said:

If you add the terminal numbers cast in the bendix to the drawing and compare them to the numbers on the wiring diagram, then wire accordingly, it will be correct.

the diagrams I’ve found suggest there should be a spade at the top which would be wired to the coil, and this doesn’t have that. I’m at the point where finding an appropriate  wiring diagram is difficult. Hence why I’m here. 

I took the intake off again to get a better look. There are no terminal numbers that I can see. 

the red/white box on the firewall is a hot post, presumably for easier jumpstarts 

image.jpg

image.jpg

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Update: removed the 3rd wire that was connected to the inner terminal with the braided loom. Thanks to @jgerock for an older post with great photos and explanation. So far the car is not making the weird starter grinding noise, BUT, the battery still isn’t being charged.  Up to 19V on the back of the alternator, but still only 12 at the battery. Will consult the electrical shop tomorrow (they rebuilt the alternator last week) 

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

1 hour ago, FunElan said:

the diagrams I’ve found suggest there should be a spade at the top which would be wired to the coil,

You are referring to E30 S14 diagrams, I presume from the photos.

My S14 diagrams show connections to terminals 30, 30h and 50.  Alternator and battery both to to terminal 30.

Diagrams are available in PDF form on the internet.  Mine are in a bound book from BMW.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

11 hours ago, FunElan said:

the diagrams I’ve found suggest there should be a spade at the top which would be wired to the coil, and this doesn’t have that. I’m at the point where finding an appropriate  wiring diagram is difficult. Hence why I’m here. 

I took the intake off again to get a better look. There are no terminal numbers that I can see. 

the red/white box on the firewall is a hot post, presumably for easier jumpstarts 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The top picture here- is the large copper lug touching the lower spade terminal??

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 8/14/2023 at 3:44 AM, jgerock said:

The top picture here- is the large copper lug touching the lower spade terminal??

I think it's just the angle - it's actually spaced "up" away from the starter a bit. If it were touching that lower terminal, wouldn't the ignition be spinning all the time?

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

period correct cosmics or minilites strapped to CN36s

I would suggest putting the rims INSIDE the tires.

Or maybe the tires OUTSIDE the rims?

Either way, strapping your tires to your rims is strictly verboten!

(yes, I'm just completely fukkin' jealous, you know.)

t

• Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

This is resolved. That big wire just needed to be added to the main batttery post on the starter. We checked for continuity and it lead to the alternator. Now the battery is being charged. 

Next item....deal with the big plumes of smoke coming out the back....

• Sad 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

2 hours ago, FunElan said:

This is resolved. That big wire just needed to be added to the main batttery post on the starter. We checked for continuity and it lead to the alternator. Now the battery is being charged. 

Next item....deal with the big plumes of smoke coming out the back....

Well... you do seem to have combustion!

:)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

49 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Well... you do seem to have combustion!

:)

This is true! It's either piston rings or just carbon from sitting for two years. Leakdown test will probably tell us, but 2 Lotus projects take precedence now.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Wow what a score.  Fun times sorting cars w/your Dad - that is some good stuff.  You’re bringing that on an RGB drive sometime, right?

I’m not jealous.  I’m fine about it.  No.  Really.  I just need to find my scream pillow.  It’s somewhere around here.  

Scott

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

49 minutes ago, saaron said:

Wow what a score.  Fun times sorting cars w/your Dad - that is some good stuff.  You’re bringing that on an RGB drive sometime, right?

I’m not jealous.  I’m fine about it.  No.  Really.  I just need to find my scream pillow.  It’s somewhere around here.  

Scott

I'm not confident in this thing going a few miles now, let alone to the midwest. 

Cmon out and experience it!

• Thanks 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

9 hours ago, NickVyse said:

Could also just be an exhaust full of crap. Fingers crossed

I'm hoping for that. But it does smell a bit like oil. Either way, we should probably take it on a highway blast when it's not crowded....

• Like 2

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Maybe put some Techron in the tank and go for a few midnight drives.  Hopefully the rings are just stuck from sitting, and with a few heat cycles maybe they’ll loosen up and start sealing better.  As Nick said, maybe there is some animal debris in the exhaust. 

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI