• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Swan Neck Mirror from MVP

Mark92131

I got an e-mail that the Swan Neck Reproduction mirrors were now available.  Hopefully, their early grill set is near completion.

Mark92131

og_image.png
WWW.MVPVINTAGEPARTS.COM

Manufacturer of Vintage Car Parts,MVP,BMW2002,BMW,bmwclassiccars,bmwclassic,bmw2002classic,bmw02club,mvpvintageparts,recreate a legacy

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

How about the base gaskets?  Will they be available separately?  Lots of us need 'em, and there isn't even a part number for them in the factory parts book...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

18 hours ago, Mike Self said:

How about the base gaskets?  Will they be available separately?  Lots of us need 'em, and there isn't even a part number for them in the factory parts book...

mike

in the part description;

"The mirror comes with the gasket and mounting screws for your easy installation"

From looking at the picture on the MVP web site, the mirrors they offer are for NK and early 1600-2 cars that mount with one machine screw/cage nut, and one bolt that fastens from inside the door.  

image.thumb.png.103703b8649fa71a46e6c390939a2f36.png

Swan neck mirrors on '69 and 70 2002s use two machine screws/cage nuts that fasten in from the mirror base side--the forward-most screw is hidden by the mirror arm, which pivots away to expose the screw.  On their web site, MVP states that the mirror is for NK sedans, and 02s (1600 and 2002s) through '68 where the mirror is mounted at the very leading edge of the door, not further back as on the later cars.  

Hopefully they'll reproduce the later swan mirror base as used on the 69 and 70 cars...

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Given you can use this on the later cars, just with more installation work … I highly doubt they’ll make another.

Very cool to see them make it, and looking forward to seeing them at their US distributors.

Whoever took their promo photos needs to swing the mirror arm into the right position though.

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

Hopefully they'll reproduce the later swan mirror base as used on the 69 and 70 cars...

I believe that the later swan mirror base has the same mounting hole positions as the Flag and Trap mirrors and the early swan mirror mounting holes are wider apart, requiring some modifications to mount on later cars.  It also means that if you could buy the base gaskets separately, they won't fit your later swan mirror base, (I thought I remembered someone 3D printing the base gaskets for the later Swan mirrors?).

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

11 hours ago, TobyB said:

As to the base gasket, a couple hours of measuring and drafting

I have all the measurements, just don't have a 3D printer...

mike