• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Ride height solutions

bornin02
Go to solution Solved by visionaut,

• Solution

1st step might be the spring pads - they come in different heights.

OE height springs are still available, many aftermarket will likely be lowering springs.

Another option might be installing height adjustable upper spring perches, to get it exactly where you want it…

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

10 minutes ago, visionaut said:

1st step might be the spring pads - they come in different heights.

OE height springs are still available, many aftermarket will likely be lowering springs.

Another option might be installing height adjustable upper spring perches, to get it exactly where you want it…

Thanks! I’ll probably look into the spring pads

• Like 1

cool. I will say your current pads look to already be ‘not the slimmest’ ones top and bottom. You can also add a spacer (like came on the front fenders on the big bumper cars).

if you might still have OE springs, they’ve likely settled, so a fresh set same height will definitely raise it a bit too.

me, I like it firm, so I’m using lowering springs with rate I like paired with the adjustable perches to raise it a bit and get the ride and height I like…

And...FYI, the OEM springs on 73-76 cars cause it to ride about an inch higher than the 68-72 cars.  This due to bumper height requirements that began in 1973, but were again revised for 1974, causing the much higher aluminum bumpers on the 74-76 cars.   

I wondered for years why my '69 was an inch lower than my '73, both with stock suspensions.  The above was the answer.  I installed H&R progressive springs and now they're about the same height.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Your upper spring rubber looks like a 3 dot to me. Here's spring info I saved from another thread sometime ago:

REAR SUSP SPRINGS

Green 776-803 lbs

White 750-776 lbs

Red 725-750 lbs

wire thickness 12.3mm (.049")free length unmounted 334.6 (13.17")

Heavy duty conversion ( for trailer towing )

grey/green 769-789 lbs

grey/white 730-769 lbs

grey/red 710-730 lbs

wire thickness 13.2mm (.052") free length of unmounted 324.2mm (12.76")

FOR touring - USE ONLY RED (in emergency WHITE is permissable

always use "1 Dot " rubber top cushion

FRONT SUSP SPRINGS

green/blue 635-656 lbs

white/blue 614-636 lbs

red/blue 595-614 lbs

wire thickness 11.8mm (0.465") free length unmounted 337.2mm (13.28")

Heavy duty conversion (only if rear is also converted)

green/grey/green 606/626 lbs

white/grey/white 584-606 lbs

red/grey/red 564-584 lbs

wire thickness 12mm (0.47") free length unmounted 345mm (13.58")

rear coil spring upper rubber 'damper ring' comes in 3 heights:

28 mm height = 1 dot and green color code

33 mm height = 2 dot and white color code

37 mm height = 3 dot and red color code

Note: always fit top spring damper with 1 dot for Touring models (of course for orig springs)

check availability with dealer, one was NLA reciently.

the bottom rear coil spring rubber damper ring comes only in one thickness = 24mm

• Like 3

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

If the rear is too low (with lowering springs and a 3 dot rubber upper pad), you can insert an aluminum upper strut spacer (12 or 20 mm thick) above the rubber pad. It slips right over the upper spring mount.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Awwww. Marshall, they don't 'wear out' they just sag a bit... kinda like my middle...

(but I'm sure that's what you meant)

So that shimming, as long as you have enough travel left, is certainly an acceptable fix.

That said, that spring looks... odd... as it sits.  As the OE spring sags, it usually 

conforms to the curve of the trailing arm mounts.  Maybe it's just been rotated,

but that one's bulging inward, not outward.

The big question, though, in springs, is that once you decide to change them, there are a LOT

of options, so it's best to play with the car a bit to see whether you might want to go to a stiffer spring.

I see you've got the bright yellow Bilstones already, so a stiffer spring will match them.

CAUTION:  if you decide to change spring rates, don't just stiffen the rear.  Do all 4.

A stiff rear and soft front will be tail- happy under harder cornering.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

ground-control-suspension-rear-coilover-
GROUNDCONTROLSTORE.COM

This kit fits BMW 2002 (rear only) 66-76 years. Ground Control is proud to introduce our exclusive rear height adjuster kit for the 2002.  removal of stock spring is required Expected ride height change from 0 to 2 inches Save $50 when purchased together with our 2002 front...

image.thumb.png.5a8ac10f6f9576e0c4fda60bdb2ccb93.png

I've got these and they make it easy to make small adjustments. You need to tell them how stiff you want them.

Edited by Georges
  • Like 1

engine small.jpg

It definitely depends on what you’re looking to improve. If it’s just ride height, a spacer is totally an acceptable solution. If you replace springs, it’s a rabbit hole with too many options. But like Toby said, you’ll want to replace all 4. 

Extended Chromoly control arms and other 2002 parts

https://www.danjermotorsports.com

Instagram.  https://www.instagram.com/danjer_motorsports/

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Rob H002 said:

Has anyone installed these Allstar Performance ALL56119 - Allstar Performance Coil Spring Spacers on their o2? Would anyone have any advice and pictures to share?
Thanks. 

I’ve been running those for many years. Here’s a pic showing how they fit.

IIRC, installation amounted to banging them on with a rubber mallet. And they aren’t really adjustable with the car weighted - you have to use a lift/jack to unweight to adjust the height.

Most seem to prefer the Ground Control versions now, which weren’t available back when I added these.

IMG_7444.jpeg