• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

e30 steelies - need special lugs?

Pablo M

I did a search here and did find some info but not definitive.

I'm switching from my steel 13's to e30 steel 14's.

I assume I can use the same lug nuts already on the car-can someone confirm? If not, what do I need?

Also, my lug nuts aren't pretty. They were meant to be under the hub cap so they're open top and show their age.

I'd like to upgrade them to nicer looking chrome ones since they'll be visible now. From my search seems they're 12mm X 1.5 pitch, 60 degree cone seat. Is that correct/ok for steel wheel, and if so can I use any generic lugs that fit that? The lugs on the e30 wheels hold on the center cap too. I dont know if that makes a difference.

For example, could I use something like these:

sre-default-open-graph.jpg
WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM

Find Lug Nuts M12 x 1.5 Lug Nut Thread Size, Conical seat - 60 degree Lug Nut Seat Style and get Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing!

I appreciate the info.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

And if you're gonna use the Euro style small center caps with your E30 steel wheels, you'll want the lug nuts that have a lip that holds the caps in place.  They're not clipped onto the wheel's center hole like those on squarelight 02 steel wheels.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, Flunder said:

Dave at Aardvarc Racing sells closed end lugs. 

I'm sure they're sold in many places, including the link I posted in my question.

The question is, do I need special ones or will the ones in my link work fine (12mmX1.5, 60*)? Is Aardvarc the only place to get the right ones?

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

And if you're gonna use the Euro style small center caps with your E30 steel wheels, you'll want the lug nuts that have a lip that holds the caps in place.  They're not clipped onto the wheel's center hole like those on squarelight 02 steel wheels.  

mike

Do you mean like this?

image.png.07eb1bb2b8406e67312b65eee7fc3d96.png

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

14 hours ago, Pablo M said:

The question is, do I need special ones or will the ones in my link work fine

They will work just fine but… The hex nut is 3/4 in not 19 mm

The OE lug wrench in your car is 19 mm and wont fit, have to carry a 3/4 in. one😉

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

28 minutes ago, tech71 said:

he hex nut is 3/4 in not 19 mm

The OE lug wrench in your car is 19 mm and wont fit, have to carry a 3/4 in. one

If the threads are metric, then the hex should be also...and FYI, 3/4 inch measures out to 19.05 mm--awful close!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks guys. I was communicating with Blunttech on another product and asked about lugs. Ended up buying from them. Appreciate it.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

If the threads are metric, then the hex should be also...and FYI, 3/4 inch measures out to 19.05 mm--awful close!

mike

Nope,  3/4 in SAE on the hex nut. Awful close is not close enough. It’s a sloppy fit, just enough to bite you on the ass, tear up your shiny new

nuts, especially if your OE lug wrench has seen use for 50 years

Dont bother asking me how I know 

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris