• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii kfisher throttle linkage cups and install question

Pablo M

Ive done a bit of research but not found what I needed.

Discovered my idle and pedal issue-one of the linkages came off because the ball cup is missing. I know its missing because I found it when I replaced the linkage but seemed to hold fine. Guess not.

Looking to replace with new ball cup since I'm in there and it'll prevent it happening again. Real OEM only shows one ball cup, #9, at the far end of the first link from the kfisher to the vertical pivoting link (position a in photo). See image. Parts list says only 1 needed. Seems the other pivot on that link would have one too (also highlighted in yellow, next to the number 11 text, position b in photo).

image.png.20aee2ce9b34da2d767708448fdbf03e.png

Also wouldn't position c also need one?

image.png.891c7f02dabc519ba18fb311c1388e5e.png

How many of these ball cups do I need? They're expensive for what they are! $17/wa, give or take.

How do you install them? easy as using channel lock pliers to squeeze the ball cup into the link seat and channel lock squeeze the link to the ball joint?

Ive seen alternative ball joints in threads here but don't want to delve into that now as i just want to get it running.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

This is a rare occasion where the parts diagram is wrong! The right parts are shown, but the dotted line points at the wrong ball.(or maybe the dotted line should point to the linkage rod, not the cup?).... So one cup required and it goes on the ball closest to the cup in the diagram.

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Here is a super close up.  You can see the diagram points the cup to the bottom ball stud right below the vertical shaft, and the ball below #11 points to the cup on the horizontal linkage.  Zoom in close, you can see (barely) that the diagram is correct.

Wouldn't it be nice if that little rubber boot cover that Jim shows was still available.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by bergie33
  • Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

I see. Thanks! So the vertical rod connected to the tuna can gets this. I should probably put it back then lol. Damn, have to take it all apart again, right? I need to pull the tuna can/throttle body or pull the plenum with it attached.

So, why would the linkage to kfisher fall off? Its a simple snap fit then, without a cup. Does that mean its gone bad or maybe I just didnt install it well enough.  Talking out loud there.

Thanks for the clarification.

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

So that plastic cup actually sits inside the little cup on the warmup regulator.  See circled area in pic below.

The linkage pieces that have the metal ball cup ends have a small clip inside the cup.  If that clip is missing, it might more easily pop off the ball stud.  See pic below of the clip inside the ball cup. 

s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.28b76067141d4da2a4506fc5e6e3a760.jpg

IMG_1783__75027.jpg.9bc6e6c391ca1f0966fb582b19a0e8a8.jpg

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

bergie33 has a nice picture of the ball socket, it is a wearing item. I replaced all of mine last year and re-adjusted the FI. Made a huge difference in smoothness and performance. I purchased mine from Mercedes-Benz (old job). Before you order see how many are left and right hand threads. One of the rods has 2 RHT. Part Klassik on the east coast or Sierra Madre on the west coast are the places that had them at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jgerock said:

One cup and one rubber protective boot goes on the bottom of the vertical linkage. The cup is for the pivoting ball. Add a bit of lube.

68BBBFF2-724D-4635-B0F3-6C94024D07BE.jpeg

I wish BMW still had that protective rubber boot 13511257374 available.  I need to figure out an alternative to replace it on my '73 as the original one fell apart when I rebuilt the linkage.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️