• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A mystery wrapped up in an enigma: all signals on, car off

doog
Go to solution Solved by doog,

Yesterday, I woke my 1976 02 out of its winter slumber. It started without issue, and I took it for a 25 mile drive. I returned home, park the 02 and tended to some other household chores. A couple hours later, I went out with a hand pump to touch up the pressure in the tires. I noticed then that all four turn signals were flashing: I had not touched the car since I parked it upon returning home from my drive. The hazard switch was not flashing, nor was it, seemingly, engaged. In fact, in the 12+ years I've owned my 02 I've never touched the hazard switch. Anyway, while my signals were flashing I pushed in the hazard switch. It never engaged, though if I held it in, the signals stopped flashing, though the hazard switch did not illuminate.

I searched the faq and found lots of messages that were similar in nature to my issue, but none that were quite the same. My assumption is that the hazard switch might be wedged, causing a short. BTW, the sound of the flasher relay and the frequency of the blinking seem normal. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

Edited by doog

• doog changed the title to A mystery wrapped up in an enigma: all signals on, car off

The only part of the car where I think that could happen would be the hazard switch.  BTW the bulb can break in the hazard switch.  If memory serves you can pop off the top and replace it.  Although I may be thinking of a VW. 

Perhaps check some grounds. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

• Solution

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I just went out, and unscrewed the red switch cap which allowed me to direct the switch, via the bulb, a bit to the right so that the switch caught in the correct position. If I screwed in the cap the entire way, the switch released again. So, either I'll need to bend the keeper tab, stuff a toothpick in it or replace the switch.

There's a way to permanently fix the pushbutton style hazard switch so it won't turn itself on as yours did--and doesn't involve toothpicks.  PM me if you'd like a copy of the pertinent column.

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite